[PBEM BOARD] La Grande Guerre - gloriously great WW1 game

Started by Tamas, July 07, 2014, 09:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on July 07, 2014, 09:24:37 AM
Ok, one more try: looking for opponents!!!

This is THE boardgame to play WW1, with a lot of very plausible alt-history options. Putting it simply, I haven't felt like re-living the probable problems and dilemmas of period leaders in any other board game as much as this one.
The military level is very high operational/strategic, with units being around corps level. But you have economics, politics, diplomacy, technology. Just awesome stuff.

It does take some effort to learn but compared to the level of simulation and fun gameplay achieved, not much at all.
Consimworld topic with all possible documentation:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.ee6d67e

VASSAL module:
https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B8DUPGYJjUlLcEpNTF9yaElqY2s&export=download
It works with anything from 2 to 4. Two is more work for a single player but with 4 there is noticeable downtime in PBEM.

How is the module you linked here (which VASSAL won't let me import because it says it is invalid) different from this one:

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:La_Grande_Guerre_14-18
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on July 08, 2014, 02:57:04 PM
Tamas isn't that bad - he almost never forgets his turns until he starts losing badly.

He should play Ludendorff then, for realism.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

I don't suppose anyone has put together a ZIP file with the 456 different rules/scenario books/setup guides, etc., etc. for this?

0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on July 08, 2014, 04:43:03 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 07, 2014, 09:24:37 AM
Ok, one more try: looking for opponents!!!

This is THE boardgame to play WW1, with a lot of very plausible alt-history options. Putting it simply, I haven't felt like re-living the probable problems and dilemmas of period leaders in any other board game as much as this one.
The military level is very high operational/strategic, with units being around corps level. But you have economics, politics, diplomacy, technology. Just awesome stuff.

It does take some effort to learn but compared to the level of simulation and fun gameplay achieved, not much at all.
Consimworld topic with all possible documentation:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.ee6d67e

VASSAL module:
https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B8DUPGYJjUlLcEpNTF9yaElqY2s&export=download
It works with anything from 2 to 4. Two is more work for a single player but with 4 there is noticeable downtime in PBEM.

How is the module you linked here (which VASSAL won't let me import because it says it is invalid) different from this one:

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:La_Grande_Guerre_14-18

The one I linked (and which I can open, just open it from vassal instead of trying to double click it or anything) has English tabs for instance, and in general seems to be the better one.

Tamas

Oh and I was wrong about the module I linked: it does random selection for techs and such, so nice one!

Sophie Scholl

I've always wanted to play a First World War game, though I've never so much as played a wargame of any time period. :(  Perhaps I shall dig into the rules for this game and eventually be able to be a junior, junior partner and control Austria-Hungary or Italy some day.  I can't imagine them being under the control of a total newbie would result in much worse than historical results. :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Berkut

OK, got it working. Needed to open rather than import.

0 rows returned

PDH

Quote from: Berkut on July 08, 2014, 02:57:04 PM
Tamas isn't that bad - he almost never forgets his turns until he starts losing badly.

That is how the ACW ended in 1862.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Berkut

I am working my way through getting all these rules downloaded and printing as appropriate.

0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Berkut's multipurpose business machine's hard drive at the office just lost a gig of storage space :lol:

Kyocera sevice rep is: blamed

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on July 09, 2014, 09:53:34 AM
I am working my way through getting all these rules downloaded and printing as appropriate.

Cool!

I will have very sporadic computer access until Tuesday, so let's use that time to get familiarised with stuff, and get confirmation from Solmyr and Habs that they are in.

Also, please, try to figure out if something is missing from the online resources until Monday (they shouldn't as far as I can tell), as I will be back home in Hungary so can scan stuff from the boardgame if required.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

I'm in, can play whatever you think I can handle. Will try to read the rules over the weekend.

The Brain

Quote from: Solmyr on July 09, 2014, 03:41:23 PM
I'm in, can play whatever you think I can handle. Will try to read the rules over the weekend.

Sweden.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.