[PBEM BOARD] La Grande Guerre - gloriously great WW1 game

Started by Tamas, July 07, 2014, 09:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

OK, I totally studied and completely understand all the rules. Let's get started.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Everyone else seems to have lost the will.

I am thinking we should switch to Fire in the Lake once I have that and organise a PBEM we will never start on that one.

Berkut

0 rows returned

Berkut

0 rows returned

Tamas

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on September 02, 2014, 11:44:23 AM
I don't think the COIN games are well suited to PBEM.

I have only played Andean Abyss so far, but there is like zero interactivity during a player's turn.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on September 02, 2014, 01:12:08 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 02, 2014, 11:44:23 AM
I don't think the COIN games are well suited to PBEM.

And your reason for thinking this?

Puzzling indeed. LGG is heavily interactive especially in 1914, but in COIN you just do your thing without opponent decisionmaking involved, then pass it on to the next guy.

Habbaku

Proper COIN play does see some discussion amongst the players, but not anything near to something that would stop PBEM.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on September 02, 2014, 01:23:59 PM
Proper COIN play does see some discussion amongst the players, but not anything near to something that would stop PBEM.

Well yeah but that can happen between moves, can't it? Stuff that slows down PBEM are stuff like interceptions and other things the active player must stop halfway in turns.

Berkut

It just seems like a game that relies on a lot of table interaction to really capture what is interesting about the system, and the sort-allies, sorta-competitors nature of the game.

0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on September 02, 2014, 02:17:10 PM
It just seems like a game that relies on a lot of table interaction to really capture what is interesting about the system, and the sort-allies, sorta-competitors nature of the game.

I would imagine that is easy to have if we are not breathing down the neck of somebody to make a move after an hour.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2014, 02:20:02 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 02, 2014, 02:17:10 PM

I would imagine that is easy to have if we are not breathing down the neck of somebody to make a move after an hour.

Not really. There is a lot of casual interaction that I suspect in PBEM just won't happen, because it isn't seen as worth it. And a lot of that talking is very informal, and hence cannot really be defined as being part of a discreet "diplomacy phase". So should people wait? Not wait?

Do we need to talk about whether or not I should pass so I can have a shot at that event that is coming up? Meh, whatever just go....

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2014, 11:49:52 AM
Quote from: Berkut on September 02, 2014, 11:44:46 AM
Whatever happened to our Totaler Krieg game?

I kind of half-assed it and ruined it :P

I want to do TK again. Mainly because I just traded for the AE version.

0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on September 02, 2014, 06:21:14 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2014, 11:49:52 AM
Quote from: Berkut on September 02, 2014, 11:44:46 AM
Whatever happened to our Totaler Krieg game?

I kind of half-assed it and ruined it :P

I want to do TK again. Mainly because I just traded for the AE version.

Meh. I'd rather stick to LGG. WW2 is teh bore