[PBEM BOARD] La Grande Guerre - gloriously great WW1 game

Started by Tamas, July 07, 2014, 09:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on July 09, 2014, 03:41:23 PM
I'm in, can play whatever you think I can handle. Will try to read the rules over the weekend.

Habbaku is particular to Eastern Entente. That puts as to Centrals Solmyr, I am happy to take the eastern front and Austria.

That's how we should divide it: eastern/western per alliance. For the Entente, that makes it easy to divide who does production and research for which country. For Centrals I suggest eastern player deciding those for Austria, western for Germany.

Another thing you guys need to decide by the time we start, as it doesnt matter for me either way, is to give free choice of warplans or force historical ones. It is worth noting that even with free plan choices (most of them are secret but drastic ones like Germany redeploying against Russia or Russia against Germany must be announced so the other side can react), there are very strong arguments for choosing the historical ones: they give you the most National Will, and choosing something else can influence stuff like National Will of enemies and even chit draws for them and yourself. So it is very much a balance act and there is no clearly superior choice I think.

Habbaku

I would lobby for historical plans just so I have fewer variables to figure out while learning.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PDH

The Germans should do the Schlieffen Plan against Austria.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

ulmont

Quote from: Solmyr on July 09, 2014, 03:41:23 PM
I'm in, can play whatever you think I can handle. Will try to read the rules over the weekend.

Make sure to post lots of screen shots.

Berkut

I want to play Britian, with the option to enter the war on the CP players side as long as they don't invade Belgium.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on July 09, 2014, 08:05:42 PM
I want to play Britian, with the option to enter the war on the CP players side as long as they don't invade Belgium.

It does appear honor should be removed from the English dictionary :angry:

But that is against the rules anyway :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Looking forward reading the reports of your game, guys.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2014, 10:30:22 PM

I believe "honor" isn't part of the English dictionary to begin with. :P

"Honour" might be, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2014, 06:48:29 AM

:(  I wish I'd said that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

sbr

Quote from: grumbler on July 11, 2014, 02:09:21 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2014, 06:48:29 AM

:(  I wish I'd said that.

Yep.  I knew there was a joke there right after Valmy posted it but I couldn't turn it into a coherent thought before I lost interest.

Valmy

I actually used the American spelling just to avoid this but that just seems to have brought it on  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Delirium

Impressive scope of your latest project, very ambitious.

I was part of an attempt to play this at a convention in '09 I think it was but it was too much for us at that time.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Solmyr

These rules are more extensive than I thought. :P I'll try anyway. Advice will be accepted, of course. Who is playing what?