If you could have any five works of art in your house

Started by Savonarola, July 03, 2014, 12:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 08, 2014, 05:46:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 08, 2014, 02:34:40 PM
I like Caravaggio better but I don't think it would make sense to say that he prefigures Cubism.  I assume advanced here just means along the style that portrays figures in a less "realistic" manner. I think that's fair to put El Greco further along on that than say Caravaggio - though I think overall as the thesis that it is a bit of a reach.
I think Larch (and the critics) meant advanced purely temporally with no implied judgement.

Of course. Ahead of his time.

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on July 08, 2014, 05:38:46 PM
I don't agree with that logic at all, BTW.  That there's some kind of linear line with bullshit, boring Abstract Expressionism as the "most advanced" form of painting because it doesn't depict anything.  Delacroix is great.  Caravaggio is great.  New Objectivity wasn't "worse" than Expressionism because Otto Dix and Grosz painted vaguely realistic human figures.

But that's not what I was saying nor do I think anyone was. As Sheilbh noted (which I guess I wasn't clear as he seemed to take same notion from my post) it isn't a value judgment. So it isn't saying that Cubism is better.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

There's too much to narrow it down to 5  :(
No Bellini, Titian, Correggio, Mantegna, Piero della Francesca  :cry:

Jacopo de Barbari - Venetie 1500

Guercino - Persian Sibyl

Tintoretto - Paradiso (gonna need a bigger room)

Carpaccio - St. George and the Dragon

Giorgione - The Tempest

The Larch

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

So I finally know what the dude in A Soldier in The Great War was going on and on and on about.

The Larch

Well, I would diversify a little bit.  :lol:

Would love to have some baroque sculpture, this would look great in the garden:

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2014, 06:38:10 PM
A fan of Italian High Renaissance, I see.  ;)

My tastes are more varied, but that would make it even more impossible to do this. So I limited myself to this period. :)

I love the Boccioni Pedrito posted, I think I circled around it for a good half hour.