Started by Savonarola, July 03, 2014, 12:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Christ Pantocrator from St. Catherine of Sinai Monastery
Ilya Repin, Reply of the Zaporozhan Cossacks
Carpeaux, Bust of Alexandre Dumas fils
William Blake, The Tyger
NC Wyeth, cover painting of The Black Arrow
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Sheilbh

A Francis Bacon Triptych. Possibly this one because I've seen it:

El Greco's Opening of the Fifth Seal:

Turner's Burning of Parliament:

A complete illustrated Shahnameh.
And the Dying Gaul.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

I would acquire and then sell the five most expensive pieces of art and use the proceeds to build and stock the best wine cellar I could manage leaving sufficient money to allow me to retire to enjoy the fruits of my labour.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 07, 2014, 05:52:12 PM
I would acquire and then sell the five most expensive pieces of art
So a lot of Jeff Koons :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 07, 2014, 05:54:53 PM

I dont need to look at them.  I just need to enjoy the wine they will allow me to purchase while I sit in my amazing wine cellar.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 07, 2014, 05:48:10 PMEl Greco's Opening of the Fifth Seal:

This year is El Greco's year over here, and they're doing a bucketload of retrospectives and conferences about him in Toledo. The main thesis being defended by critics is that, even if he was well appreciated during his life, his style was really a precursor for much more advanced styles like Expresionism and Cubism than the Renaissance period than he lived. That picture you chose could easily be used to defend that thesis.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 07, 2014, 05:54:53 PM

Not that you were necessarily doing so, but I really don't get the angst about Jeff Koons making as much money as he possibly can.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

I liked his The New as a series of displayed vacuum cleaners.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

It could be worse, I guess, it could be Damien Hirst.

Queequeg

QuoteThis year is El Greco's year over here, and they're doing a bucketload of retrospectives and conferences about him in Toledo. The main thesis being defended by critics is that, even if he was well appreciated during his life, his style was really a precursor for much more advanced styles like Expresionism and Cubism than the Renaissance period than he lived. That picture you chose could easily be used to defend that thesis.
IDK.  He's kind of an Icon painter doing Mannerism.  I mean, I think a lot of his work prefigures Expressionism and Post-Impressionism but IDK if it'd be accurate to describe Greco as somehow "knowing" about Expressionism or that his style was "more advanced."  There's David and Turner between Greco and Schiele, and I wouldn't call Greco more "advanced" than Caravaggio, even if I like Greco more. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on July 08, 2014, 02:24:36 PM
QuoteThis year is El Greco's year over here, and they're doing a bucketload of retrospectives and conferences about him in Toledo. The main thesis being defended by critics is that, even if he was well appreciated during his life, his style was really a precursor for much more advanced styles like Expresionism and Cubism than the Renaissance period than he lived. That picture you chose could easily be used to defend that thesis.
IDK.  He's kind of an Icon painter doing Mannerism.  I mean, I think a lot of his work prefigures Expressionism and Post-Impressionism but IDK if it'd be accurate to describe Greco as somehow "knowing" about Expressionism or that his style was "more advanced."  There's David and Turner between Greco and Schiele, and I wouldn't call Greco more "advanced" than Caravaggio, even if I like Greco more. 

I like Caravaggio better but I don't think it would make sense to say that he prefigures Cubism.  I assume advanced here just means along the style that portrays figures in a less "realistic" manner. I think that's fair to put El Greco further along on that than say Caravaggio - though I think overall as the thesis that it is a bit of a reach.

Queequeg

I don't agree with that logic at all, BTW.  That there's some kind of linear line with bullshit, boring Abstract Expressionism as the "most advanced" form of painting because it doesn't depict anything.  Delacroix is great.  Caravaggio is great.  New Objectivity wasn't "worse" than Expressionism because Otto Dix and Grosz painted vaguely realistic human figures.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2014, 11:54:33 AMThis year is El Greco's year over here, and they're doing a bucketload of retrospectives and conferences about him in Toledo. The main thesis being defended by critics is that, even if he was well appreciated during his life, his style was really a precursor for much more advanced styles like Expresionism and Cubism than the Renaissance period than he lived. That picture you chose could easily be used to defend that thesis.
I take Quee's quibble over 'advanced', but I agree and that's part of what I love about El Greco (and Turner).
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on July 08, 2014, 02:34:40 PM
I like Caravaggio better but I don't think it would make sense to say that he prefigures Cubism.  I assume advanced here just means along the style that portrays figures in a less "realistic" manner. I think that's fair to put El Greco further along on that than say Caravaggio - though I think overall as the thesis that it is a bit of a reach.
I think Larch (and the critics) meant advanced purely temporally with no implied judgement.
Let's bomb Russia!