If you could have any five works of art in your house

Started by Savonarola, July 03, 2014, 12:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

If I could, I would have this work of art in my house, but my wife would probably shoot me.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Iormlund

Quote from: Savonarola on July 03, 2014, 05:05:50 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on July 03, 2014, 03:21:55 PM
Rather hard question to answer.

I'm very minimalist in my tastes. I'd rather live in a piece of art than hang one on the wall.

Do you have an architect then that you would have liked to have had designed your house/apartment and interior?

My favourite house design is probably Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater. Though I would have to redo the interior as it's much too cluttered for me.

Syt

Quote from: Siege on July 03, 2014, 11:50:11 PM
If I could, I would have this work of art in my house, but my wife would probably shoot me.

And that, children, is why you shouldn't have firearms in your house.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Siegebreaker has middle class life; possesses no middle class values.  ARMY OF ONE.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on July 04, 2014, 02:16:16 AM
Siegebreaker has middle class life; possesses no middle class values.  ARMY OF ONE.

I think wishing to have a pet supermodel is well in line with middle class values.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

It's called propriety. :bowler:

So let me tell you about what exactly I would do with my lottery hooker...
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

Quote from: Siege on July 03, 2014, 11:50:11 PM

I figured you would have picked the Arch of Titus.   :P
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

This one, The death of Wolfe by Benjamin Wolfe:

And another one I don't know the name, but it looks like it's depicting the siege of Maastricht and the death of a musketeer, maybe D'Artagnan.  It appears in Darth Mod's Empire Total War.

Aside that, I don't know of many work of art I'd like to have.

Maybe this one too:
White House down
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Brazen

Thutmose III

Dali - Persistence of Memory:

Rembrandt - Night Watch

Turner - Palace of Westminster

Holbein - The Ambassadors

That was off the top of my head. I may come back and edit.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Siege

Whoa, Rembrandt's Night Watch is incredible.
Very interesting light contrasts with characters in diferent planes of the composition.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Norgy

Picasso's "Guernica", Munch's "The Scream", "Madonna" and "The Dance of Life".
And Kittelsen's drawing of the fairy tale figure Smørbukk.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

It just occurred to me that in my office I do have five pieces of actual art, so I might as well describe those:

-small print of Dali's Persistence of Memory, purchased at the Art Gallery of Ontario while visiting there with Malthus, GF, Sasks, HVC and Jos.  Brazen linked to that image already.

-a Jim Robb (Yukon artist) print showing the log home skyscraper in Whitehorse.  I can't find the exact print online, but you can see more about the artist and his style  here: http://www.artincanada.com/jimrobb/

-a numbered print of "Caibou Family" by another Yukon artist Nathalie Parenteau.

-an unlimited run print of "Autumn Romance" by the same artist:

-a west coast native art print entitled "Killer Whale" by Danny Dennis, purchased at UBC Anthropology Museum

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.