If you could have any five works of art in your house

Started by Savonarola, July 03, 2014, 12:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Hmm.  Maybe he did another similar one?  Where he looks more snotty and his hand is up by his shoulder. :hmm:

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 03, 2014, 01:34:19 PM
Hmm.  Maybe he did another similar one?  Where he looks more snotty and his hand is up by his shoulder. :hmm:

Maybe this one?

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

That's the ticket Sav.

I just love the way he said "I'm an egotistical douchebag, so that's what I'm going to paint."

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 03, 2014, 01:37:29 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 03, 2014, 01:29:32 PM
Quote from: ulmont on July 03, 2014, 01:27:22 PM
1-5 from the list below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_paintings

e:fuck you, guller.  <_<

That would be a pretty avant-garde collection.

F, C+, D, D... oh, wait, I actually like that last one.  B+.

I've actually seen that last one in the flesh as it were - I wandered into the Neue Galerie in New York, and there it was. It is, indeed, awesome.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

Whatever I can sell at a high price without attracting too much attention. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on July 03, 2014, 02:42:30 PM

I guess I thought the idea was that you are displaying them only.  That you do not actually own them.  They are just being displayed in your house for some reason.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on July 03, 2014, 02:47:18 PM

I guess I thought the idea was that you are displaying them only.  That you do not actually own them.  They are just being displayed in your house for some reason.

:huh: That's why he doesn't want the attention.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

Then you are just asking me to name my top 5 anime.

Savonarola

That's what I was going for; and besides, Mono, you must have some art that you appreciate, even if it's wall scrolls like this:

Iormlund

Rather hard question to answer.

I'm very minimalist in my tastes. I'd rather live in a piece of art than hang one on the wall.

mongers

To be fair to Mono, that would be his same response to the question, who was your favourite grandparent.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Most of the art in my house was painted by my wife. I kinda like it that way.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Larch

Quote from: Savonarola on July 03, 2014, 12:50:24 PM
Paolo Uccello's "Battle of San Romano"

That's a three-fer! Besides the one at the Uffizzi there's another one at the Louvre and another one at the National Gallery.  :P

National Gallery (Niccolò Mauruzi da Tolentino at the Battle of San Romano):

Uffizzi (Niccolò Mauruzi da Tolentino unseats Bernardino della Ciarda at the Battle of San Romano):

Louvre (The Counterattack of Michelotto da Cotignola at the Battle of San Romano):