And we're back!

Main Menu

Mensa Starts Dating Site

Started by jimmy olsen, June 25, 2014, 10:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2014, 02:25:58 PM
I would imagine a Mensa meeting goes a lot like this thread.  :D
I doubt it.  One of the universal laws of the Internet is that forum threads about IQ consist mainly of hidden brag/false modesty gambits, where someone mentions how high they scored on IQ test, and then say how little it means.  Merely becoming a member of Mensa already means that you're not interested in either hiding your brags or feigning modesty.

The Brain

I am extremely intelligent and I think that intelligence is very important.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on June 27, 2014, 02:35:59 PM
I doubt it.  One of the universal laws of the Internet is that forum threads about IQ consist mainly of hidden brag/false modesty gambits, where someone mentions how high they scored on IQ test, and then say how little it means.  Merely becoming a member of Mensa already means that you're not interested in either hiding your brags or feigning modesty.

I think that the fact that I did score high is a good indicator how little it means.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

As already noted, a better hidden brag gambit would be to mention how low one scored on an IQ test, rather than how high. After all, if you scored really high, and are bragging about it, the obvious follow up is "so what have you invented/discovered/achieved with your incredible brains, genius?". If the answer is "nothing", it takes the wind right out of that boasting.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on June 27, 2014, 02:42:05 PM

As already noted, a better hidden brag gambit would be to mention how low one scored on an IQ test, rather than how high. After all, if you scored really high, and are bragging about it, the obvious follow up is "so what have you invented/discovered/achieved with your incredible brains, genius?". If the answer is "nothing", it takes the wind right out of that boasting.  :lol:

I agree with that.  I live in my parents basement and I'm 32 years old.  I barely passed highschool and never finished college.  If that's what a high IQ gets you, I'd much rather be a little on the dull side.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ideologue

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 27, 2014, 10:27:36 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 26, 2014, 11:11:19 PM
Oh fuck yeah! I was just checking out the Mensa site and while they don't take SAT scores, they do take GMAT scores! I'm going to join Mensa.*  :yeah:

*I might never get around to this.

My LSAT score gets me in too! :yeah: Can't wait to hit the Mensa conventions with you, D4.

Not mine. :(  Kind close-ish though.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: merithyn on June 27, 2014, 12:57:35 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 27, 2014, 12:39:28 PM
I don't think it is vastly over-rated.  On average, people with high IQ with lead more successful lives than people with low IQs.  It doesn't necessarily mean that they would amount to some extraordinary cases that are many standard deviations away from the mean.  For that other factors are important, and in fact sometimes high IQ may prevent wild success (because high IQ people are probably more risk averse and will not go for broke as often).

Is this actually true, though? I mean, I know that I've read several studies that kids in Talented & Gifted programs crash and burn in college more often than average kids, resulting in serious employment deficits.

I don't constitute a study.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Ide can join me in beating up these nerds.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2014, 02:45:30 PM

I agree with that.  I live in my parents basement and I'm 32 years old.  I barely passed highschool and never finished college.  If that's what a high IQ gets you, I'd much rather be a little on the dull side.

Raz wins the award for the most well disguised high IQ humble brag ever.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Barrister on June 27, 2014, 11:47:20 AMHell I might have had the most high profile job, and really all I do is go after drunk drivers in court.

And all I do is defend them. :(

Seriously, the true value of IQ testing is what Valmy said, in identifying people with cognitive deficits.  I've found it useful in understanding my borderline clients (~70-80 IQ).  It isn't low enough to get legally excused from any culpability, but it isn't high enough to provide a good grasp of concepts like: cause-and-effect; projecting oneself into the future; impulse control; consequences; etc.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)