News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mensa Starts Dating Site

Started by jimmy olsen, June 25, 2014, 10:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I projected myself into the future once, and my dishes were really gross.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 29, 2014, 08:01:21 PM

And all I do is defend them. :(

Seriously, the true value of IQ testing is what Valmy said, in identifying people with cognitive deficits.  I've found it useful in understanding my borderline clients (~70-80 IQ).  It isn't low enough to get legally excused from any culpability, but it isn't high enough to provide a good grasp of concepts like: cause-and-effect; projecting oneself into the future; impulse control; consequences; etc.

I mentioned the girl I know that told me her IQ was 74. Is it clear to you that people in that range are not really playing with a full deck?

I'm asking because I've never known what to make of it. Before I would have thought serious punishments are not cool for someone in that range, but I'd never have guessed she was in that range before she said so.

I don't know when she was tested, and she immigrated from another country at a young age, so it is possible her score is actually invalid.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

74 would seem within the range of the pretty dysfunctional to me, but I'm a layman.  I bet it's invalid.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

When it comes to low IQs, you have to differentiate between really unintelligent people, and people with a developmental disorder, where low IQ is just one of many symptoms.  You have to be careful not to mix up cause and effect there.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on June 29, 2014, 08:50:06 PM

Seriously, the true value of IQ testing is what Valmy said, in identifying people with cognitive deficits.  I've found it useful in understanding my borderline clients (~70-80 IQ).  It isn't low enough to get legally excused from any culpability, but it isn't high enough to provide a good grasp of concepts like: cause-and-effect; projecting oneself into the future; impulse control; consequences; etc.

I mentioned the girl I know that told me her IQ was 74. Is it clear to you that people in that range are not really playing with a full deck?

I'm asking because I've never known what to make of it. Before I would have thought serious punishments are not cool for someone in that range, but I'd never have guessed she was in that range before she said so.

I don't know when she was tested, and she immigrated from another country at a young age, so it is possible her score is actually invalid.
If she graduated from college and is functional at work it's almost certainly invalid. She might not be the smartest, but something like 94 is more believable.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: alfred russel on June 29, 2014, 08:50:06 PM

Well, there a couple things in play.  If you don't give a shit about the test and don't try hard, you're going to get an incorrectly low score. (As the psychiatrists who don't want to find our clients incompetent.  Same with ADHD, if you can't focus on the test, you'll score lower than you would if you were medicated could concentrate.

Guessing totally, but I'd bet she does not have a 74 IQ.  All the people I've met at that level have had substantial learning disorders, as well as just general behavioral problems, that preclude successful post-secondary education.

With some people it's more obvious than with others.  We had a client around that score who was definitely impaired, he couldn't remember his own birthday, but he'd been hanging out with the local bad boys long enough that he knew the legal lingo pretty well, which hurt his chances of being declared incompetent.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

PDH

My IQ is in triple digits - however, one of them is a zero.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: PDH on June 29, 2014, 10:51:08 PM
My IQ is in triple digits - however, one of them is a zero.

140?  No need to brag, Einstein. :rolleyes:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

alfred russel

PDH, tell the truth, are all 3 of them are zeros?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: DGuller on June 29, 2014, 09:29:32 PM
When it comes to low IQs, you have to differentiate between really unintelligent people, and people with a developmental disorder, where low IQ is just one of many symptoms.  You have to be careful not to mix up cause and effect there.

That's a fair point, Guller.  I wonder how low intelligence, distinct from other developmental disorders, impacts the kind of impulse- control/planning/etc. skills that my clients often lack. 

It could be that someone who tested very low as a child, but was raised in a well-educated upper-middle class family, might end up going to college since that's the thing to do for people of that class, and god knows there are colleges who will accept anybody.  And it's not too hard to pass from those schools.  But along the way, they would be inculcated into "pro-social" cognitive skills.

Whereas someone who tested low as a child, but was raised in constant strife by parents who dropped out of high school, might develop the kind of cognitive issues that bear on their ability to conform appropriately to social and legal standards of behavior.

Malthus

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 30, 2014, 10:40:50 AM

That's a fair point, Guller.  I wonder how low intelligence, distinct from other developmental disorders, impacts the kind of impulse- control/planning/etc. skills that my clients often lack. 

It could be that someone who tested very low as a child, but was raised in a well-educated upper-middle class family, might end up going to college since that's the thing to do for people of that class, and god knows there are colleges who will accept anybody.  And it's not too hard to pass from those schools.  But along the way, they would be inculcated into "pro-social" cognitive skills.

Whereas someone who tested low as a child, but was raised in constant strife by parents who dropped out of high school, might develop the kind of cognitive issues that bear on their ability to conform appropriately to social and legal standards of behavior.

I remember reading somewhere that when they tested young kids from low and high class families based on the usual standardized tests, the kids from low class families fared significantly worse.

Then, the researchers repeated the test - but offered candies as a reward for correct answers. This time, the testing proved much more even (I think the low class kids still fared worse, but not by nearly as much).

What differed, according to this research, was the immediacy of the reward. High class kids more likely absorb the notion of doing boring shit (i.e., working hard on a test) because the reward is presumed to exist some time in the future, or is abstract (such as getting social acceptance for a future good result). Low class kids are more likely to require an immediate and tangible reward for applying themselves, and this difference influences how they do on such tests - in short, it may be this difference and not "innate intelligence" that is being measured.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

That is why my Dad always bribed the kids with Hot Chocolate for each section  :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on June 30, 2014, 11:01:21 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 30, 2014, 10:40:50 AM

I remember reading somewhere that when they tested young kids from low and high class families based on the usual standardized tests, the kids from low class families fared significantly worse.

Then, the researchers repeated the test - but offered candies as a reward for correct answers. This time, the testing proved much more even (I think the low class kids still fared worse, but not by nearly as much).

What differed, according to this research, was the immediacy of the reward. High class kids more likely absorb the notion of doing boring shit (i.e., working hard on a test) because the reward is presumed to exist some time in the future, or is abstract (such as getting social acceptance for a future good result). Low class kids are more likely to require an immediate and tangible reward for applying themselves, and this difference influences how they do on such tests - in short, it may be this difference and not "innate intelligence" that is being measured.
:hmm: It can also be that high class kids were taught not to accept candies from strangers.

The Brain

Low class families? High class families? Wtf is this shit?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on June 30, 2014, 05:00:19 PM
Low class families? High class families? Wtf is this shit?

Trashy
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.