Austrian tourist brochure advises Arabs not to haggle or eat on the floor

Started by Syt, June 23, 2014, 04:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on June 23, 2014, 04:12:49 PM
Ha, it's like my mother in law refusing to eat sushi because "IT'S DANGEROUS LOL".  Interesting, then I guess the Japanese must be immortal or something? :hmm:

To be fair, you could say the same about drinking the water in Mexico.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Iormlund on June 23, 2014, 04:07:08 PM
:rolleyes:
Millions of Spaniards eat uncooked pork in abundance without dropping like flies. The few cases of Trichinosis are due to eating wild boars and other uncontrolled animals. Don't you have food & health inspections across the Pond?
Ha, it's like my mother in law refusing to eat sushi because "IT'S DANGEROUS LOL".  Interesting, then I guess the Japanese must be immortal or something? :hmm:

Hey if you're in Japan, living on an island close t the sea where you can get very fresh seafood, sushi sounds like a great idea.

If you're living a thousand miles inland however...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Norgy

If you're making sushi from fish that's not been frozen for at least 24 hours, you're stupid.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 04:22:49 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 03:24:45 PM. It still isn't a great idea though even in the first world, as the medical website points out:

QuoteIgnore recipes which call for pork to be lightly cooked or undercooked.

Millions of Spaniards eat uncooked pork in abundance without dropping like flies. The few cases of Trichinosis are due to eating wild boars and other uncontrolled animals. Don't you have food & health inspections across the Pond?

As I already said in this thread, and more than once, in the first world that actual danger is slight.

Except a lot of the raw meat recipes in Europe are traditional.  And for good reason.  They are delicious.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2014, 03:57:03 PM
No.  Cincinnati chili is better without beans.  Though by itself it is basically just hot dog sauce (like regular chili without beans).  So you need to pour it over spaghetti and add shredded cheese and maybe onions to make it a proper dish.

Just to clarify, does this chili have any actual hot peppers in it?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2014, 04:25:22 PM

Hey if you're in Japan, living on an island close t the sea where you can get very fresh seafood, sushi sounds like a great idea.

If you're living a thousand miles inland however...

Or you could live in Vancouver.  :P  Fyi, most fish is frozen at some point in the supply chain.  Rarely can a restaurant get fish right off the boat.  It can happen here in Vancouver but it is not necessary for good sushi. 

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 23, 2014, 04:33:49 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 03:24:45 PM. It still isn't a great idea though even in the first world, as the medical website points out:

As I already said in this thread, and more than once, in the first world that actual danger is slight.

Except a lot of the raw meat recipes in Europe are traditional.  And for good reason.  They are delicious.

Are you claiming that there was no danger in "traditionally" eating undercooked pork?  :hmm:

I suspect people "traditionally" suffered from a high frequency of food poisioning and parasites from such "delicious" past repasts.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 23, 2014, 04:36:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2014, 03:57:03 PM
No.  Cincinnati chili is better without beans.  Though by itself it is basically just hot dog sauce (like regular chili without beans).  So you need to pour it over spaghetti and add shredded cheese and maybe onions to make it a proper dish.

Just to clarify, does this chili have any actual hot peppers in it?

I believe it has cayenne pepper.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 04:21:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 23, 2014, 04:03:18 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 03:57:31 PM
So, the prejudice developed that eating pig was gross. In some places, this allegedly hardened into a religious prohibition. But even removing the religion, the prejudice can remain.

allegedly?

It isn't certain that the religious prohibition came from the practical issues. After all, the Jewish Kosher laws contain other items that make no practical sense at all.

I wonder where the blood in eggs originates from ?

My mother was always concerned about that, I assumed it was because she had a lot of Jewish friends / dated a couple of Jewish guys.
But maybe it's a wider cross cultural prohibition? :unsure: 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 04:48:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 23, 2014, 04:33:49 PM

Are you claiming that there was no danger in "traditionally" eating undercooked pork?  :hmm:

I suspect people "traditionally" suffered from a high frequency of food poisioning and parasites from such "delicious" past repasts.

No, rather I am claiming the opposite.  I am claiming that the danger is the same whether one is in the first world or not becuase the preparation of these dishes does not rely on first world technology but rather the methods that have been used since long before we had refrigeration.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 23, 2014, 04:53:51 PM
No, rather I am claiming the opposite.  I am claiming that the danger is the same whether one is in the first world or not becuase the preparation of these dishes does not rely on first world technology but rather the methods that have been used since long before we had refrigeration.

Not following you. Is there some method of safely preparing raw pork that doesn't rely on refrigeration or any other modern tech?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2014, 03:41:57 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2014, 03:40:42 PM
Chili without beans is kind of boring.

What is so exciting about beans?

They make you toot. Which makes giving the wife a dutch oven more exciting. Chili farts make the best dutch ovens.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Yesterday I was sitting on a riverside park bench, when a couple sat next to me and the woman started smoking, yuck.

After a while the woman put the cigarette butt on the ground and stamped it out, I was just going to reminder her to pick it up when she left and put it in the bin, littering being an fixed penalty offense here, when I noticed they were speaking German.  So didn't bother to make the point.

I guess there's a 1 in 10 chance they were Austrians, so no surprise there, if the case.  :rolleyes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Nonsense.  Austrians never cause problems when they go abroad.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2014, 06:13:15 PM
Nonsense.  Austrians never cause problems when they go abroad.

They were invited. Punch was served.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive