Tea Party Candidate Says It's OK To Stone Gays To Death

Started by garbon, June 12, 2014, 09:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Iormlund on June 12, 2014, 02:01:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 12, 2014, 01:41:39 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on June 12, 2014, 01:36:56 PM
I'm confused. How can someone be 'largely libertarian' and advocate curtailing personal freedoms in such a way? Does libertarian mean something else in Oklahoma?

You mostly agree with libertarian positions but make exceptions for egregious examples of sin?

That sounds as coherent as agreeing mostly with communism except you want the private sector to own the means of production.

Probably not though as the first only makes a few exceptions.

At any right, I've never consider libertarianism to be the domain of the bright and/or those interested in consistency.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2014, 02:02:59 PM
Go Ide go!  :lol:

In fairness, I don't necessarily think every Republican is a homophobe and a misogynist and a racist and a rabid capitalist (as well as a xenophobe and a devoutly religious person).

But if they're not at least one of those things, by what metric could they even be described as "right-wing" in the first place?  We'd also have to ask why they would vote for the GOP, if they did--but they don't.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

frunk

Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2014, 01:59:54 PM
I don't begrudge slight differences in wealth (let's say, one order of magnitude).

So if the poorest person only has $10,000 there shouldn't be anybody else with more than $100,000?

Ideologue

No.  Someone could have $999,999 and still be only one order of magnitude above.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2014, 01:59:54 PM
Still, I'd absolutely love Jake to walk me through the steps to where I become a Christian.  I'd like to know, since believing in God in some capacity probably would make me happier, though I don't seem especially constituted for such belief.

[let me be serious for a second]

H, if you think believing in God would make you happier, try stopping it at a Church some Sunday?  Or a mosque, or temple of one variety or another?  They won't bite, I'm sure even in South Carolina you can find a pretty liberal Church that won't say mean things about gays or blacks.  They also don't make you take any kind of test to determine whether you "believe" or not before entering.

I've been going the last few weeks for the first time in a long time, and I'm surprised how much better, happier even, I feel coming out of a service.  I was mostly going just for the kids benefit, I had thought at first.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

frunk

Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2014, 02:10:56 PM
No.  Someone could have $999,999 and still be only one order of magnitude above.

Ok, still it's a very narrow range considering the number of people that would have difficulty holding onto even $10,000.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2014, 02:11:59 PM
H, if you think believing in God would make you happier, try stopping it at a Church some Sunday?

My mother has often said that she wishes she could believe in God as it sounds so comforting. However, wish does not belief make.

I'd also venture that given the state of many modern churches, I feel more disinclined to believe in God. <_< -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on June 12, 2014, 02:16:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2014, 02:11:59 PM
H, if you think believing in God would make you happier, try stopping it at a Church some Sunday?

My mother has often said that she wishes she could believe in God as it sounds so comforting. However, wish does not belief make.

I'd also venture that given the state of many modern churches, I feel more disinclined to believe in God. <_< -_-

God believes in you. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

I'd be a liar if I attended church services regularly.  It's not even a matter of Christianity not fitting my spirituality, it's that I am a non-spiritual person.  That said, I feel the absence of spirituality and community.  But I feel that if I went to church it would make me feel worse, not better, and probably just recenter my impression that I'm different from others, which can lead to feelings of deficiency or defectiveness.

Quote from: frunkOk, still it's a very narrow range considering the number of people that would have difficulty holding onto even $10,000.

I meant and should have said income rather than implying net worth, since net worth is tricky (and it's very easy to have a negative net worth due to poor investments or even catastrophic loss, and it's easy with frugality to attain a much higher net worth than a spendthrift).  If I were actually designing wage-cap and minimum income legislation, I probably wouldn't use an OOM since, while that's a nice rhetorical flourish and serves as a nice moral guideline, it isn't a very numerate way to go about setting nitty-gritty policy.
Kinemalogue

garbon

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

He explains that in the next sentence.  He is not spiritual so he would be lying if he did.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on June 12, 2014, 02:22:51 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2014, 02:21:27 PM
I'd be a liar if I attended church services regularly.

:huh:

Church services are for Christians, specifically the Christianity of the congregation.  It'd be like hanging out in a gay bar to get attention.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2014, 02:24:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 12, 2014, 02:22:51 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2014, 02:21:27 PM
I'd be a liar if I attended church services regularly.

:huh:

Church services are for Christians, specifically the Christianity of the congregation.  It'd be like hanging out in a gay bar to get attention.

I suppose if one accepted the premise that one has to believe in God/be a christian to attend a church service. I don't think I've ever felt like I was lying in my few visits a year to churches.

Of course, there is a difference between regular attendance and attending a couple times to see if it works for you.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2014, 02:23:57 PM
He explains that in the next sentence.  He is not spiritual so he would be lying if he did.

Attending a church service doesn't require you to profess anything.