How many years will it be before an American can safely visit Baghdad?

Started by alfred russel, June 11, 2014, 08:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many years will it be before an American can safely visit Baghdad and travel through Iraq? (pick the first date that will be safe)?

10 years from now
2 (8.3%)
20 years from now
4 (16.7%)
30 years from now
5 (20.8%)
40 years from now
3 (12.5%)
Greater than 40 years (basically never in our lifetimes)
10 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2014, 09:17:14 AM
Who would want to, anyway?

My grandpa was in Baghdad in the 50s. I have a few rugs he bought then. He said it was lovely there.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: alfred russel on June 12, 2014, 08:15:08 AM
Quote from: Warspite on June 12, 2014, 04:44:12 AM
How long did it take for Americans to be able to safely visit Beirut?

This is sort of what I was thinking. A place like Vietnam was obviously not a place Americans wanted to visit in my parent's generation, but is now firmly on the tourist trail.

However, Iraq feels a bit different. I have a feeling American tourists may be hitting up Tehran before Baghdad.

SRSLY Israeli Tourists go to Tehran. It's not a matter of animosity, it's a matter of chaos. If a strong and capable government takes control in Baghdad it will be safe. Beirut is safe due to the fact that the strong and capable factions there choose not to kidnap westerners.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on June 12, 2014, 11:41:07 AM
SRSLY

Practicing leaving out all the vowels for your holy book?  I like it.

'People!  Never utter the holy name of XPTRQ!

Um couldn't if we wanted to Viking-Moses'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2014, 11:44:27 AM
SRSLY

SRSLY is a much cooler non-deity than JHWH

He promotes bacon and beer and bikinis and approves of gay sex and shrimp and cheeseburgers

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on June 12, 2014, 11:51:13 AM
SRSLY

Nu-uh.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2014, 11:54:10 AM
Quote from: Viking on June 12, 2014, 11:51:13 AM
SRSLY

Nu-uh.

did I proclaim SRSLY to be cooler than bro jesus? Did I make that claim?

Sheilbh

Yeah most of Iran's fine to visit. If it's not for Americans that's probably more because of your laws (a la Cuba) than anything else.

Baghdad though feels a bit more like Mogadishu or DRC. You can visit, if you've money to pay a big security team.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on June 12, 2014, 10:58:55 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2014, 09:17:14 AM
Who would want to, anyway?

Archaeology.

I was reading a book on ancient Iraq and it struck me how all new discoveries seemed to cease ~1980. I think it is going to be a bit longer before the work picks up in a big way (although I'm sure looters are thorougly excavating the sites as we speak).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Fuck knows, but voted 30 years. Surely a strongman will have come along by then.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

It's not a matter of animosity, it's a matter of chaos. If a strong and capable government takes control in Baghdad it will be safe. Beirut is safe due to the fact that the strong and capable factions there choose not to kidnap westerners.

Yep. 

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 12, 2014, 12:21:13 PM
Yeah most of Iran's fine to visit. If it's not for Americans that's probably more because of your laws (a la Cuba) than anything else.

No, it's because the Iranians will arrest an American on trumped up charges and demand money for his or her release.