Another US school shooter - Portland, this time

Started by merithyn, June 10, 2014, 11:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 11, 2014, 06:39:06 PM
I thought Clapton's issue was people leaving the home, not people forcing their way into it.

Oh man, I dont think that is something to joke about.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 11, 2014, 03:25:39 PM
Then I'd probably just change the locks, close the curtains and pretend I'm not in for a few days/weeks.

Yeah.  After a month or two I'd probably get the message.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 11, 2014, 06:44:28 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 11, 2014, 06:39:06 PM
I thought Clapton's issue was people leaving the home, not people forcing their way into it.

Oh man, I dont think that is something to joke about.

Don't gimme that, it's been 25 years.  As a celebrity child, chances are he'd have OD'd by now anyway.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

Quote from: Berkut on June 11, 2014, 12:35:50 PM
Quote from: frunk on June 11, 2014, 11:46:38 AM
I've long thought the worst result from 9/11 was not the event itself, but the ridiculous overreaction afterwards.  The standouts for me are the massive overreach by the federal government as far as online and phone information collection, the time wasting and mostly useless airport regulations, the massive amount of money spread around cities and states for "stopping terrorism" (of which the militarization of the police is part), increased secrecy for public utilities and government which is only going to lead to more corruption.  There were some reasonable changes that were probably a hundredth of the total amount spent (beefing up in aircraft security and training being the biggest) but other countries that didn't have this response aren't collapsing under a wave of terrorist attacks.  Perhaps we were a little too lax before 9/11, now we have the opposite problem.

What really sucks is that our reaction can be convincingly argued to be exactly what those who perpetrated the act would consider a victory for them.

If we really do believe that America is "special" in some fashion, then surely one of the key elements that makes us special is that which differentiates us from those who would commit such acts - our free, open, and transparent society founded on the basic premise of freedom of choice and a valuing of freedom over the control of the state. These stand in rather stark contrast to the values that those who form Al Quaeda value, which is strict conformity to an over-arching authority, and a totalitarian like moral and legal code that has no tolerance for, well, tolerance.

So our response to their act of terrorism was to show the world that yes, we are most certianly terrified, enough so that we are willing to abandon some of those very values that define us as different from those willing to do things like fly planes into buildings.

The best response we could have had to deter future acts would be to not change a god damned thing, at least not visibly.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".