The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Interesting interview with one of the founders of Al-Qaeda (who became a British intelligence asset in 1998): http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31700894

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on March 03, 2015, 08:06:03 PM
Interesting interview with one of the founders of Al-Qaeda (who became a British intelligence asset in 1998): http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31700894

Yes it's an interesting testimony, I like that it in part turned on a theological interpretation of a fatwa issued against the Mongols and what civilians killings were 'legitimate' in that situation. 

I think there's a bbc interview/ programme about him on bbc iplayer, if you can access it.

It was part of a Radio 4 programme this morning about IS, catch it here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04wwqcp
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Jacob, what's the story with your signature? Lost a bet?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 03, 2015, 08:36:52 PM

He just came around to the glory that is Caliga.  I suggest you do the same.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 03, 2015, 08:36:52 PM

I realized how awesome Caliga is, and I wanted to share that with the rest of languish.

(and no, I did not lose a bet)

Monoriu

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on March 03, 2015, 12:48:07 PM
That is bizarre.  I guess my experience with Islamic student societies has always been how un-controversial they are.  Heck they have been posting 'Stop ISIS' posters all over campus at UT for months.

I can remember that while I was attending KCL in the 1990s almost every morning at the entrance to the main campus there were Muslim students proclaiming about how Britain would soon be under Islamic Law and how much better and wonderful everything would be then. Social Justice for all! With explanatory leaflets IIRC.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

Quote from: Agelastus on March 04, 2015, 11:23:51 AM
I can remember that while I was attending KCL in the 1990s almost every morning at the entrance to the main campus there were Muslim students proclaiming about how Britain would soon be under Islamic Law and how much better and wonderful everything would be then. Social Justice for all! With explanatory leaflets IIRC.

Damn
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

They are just making sure no evidence remains that the Middle East was ever at the forefront of civilization.

alfred russel

I guess there is something to be said for so much of that stuff sitting in London and Paris.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

11B4V

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/isis-throws-gay-men-off-buildings/vi-BBighlS

QuoteISIS throws gay men off buildings

WTF they using a grenade chaser after they throw him off. :huh:

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".