The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on February 17, 2015, 04:26:38 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 17, 2015, 04:14:33 PM
However, I for one am glad that grumbler has not misunderstood the nature of the Islamic State.

Always pleased when my understandings make you glad.

GOT YER BACK, YO  :yeah:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 12:40:18 PM
I don't think anyone who went to an Anglo-Saxon school knows how to pronounce Latin correctly, in my experience.
Only public schoolboys would know anything at all about Latin.

I don't know if I agree with Yi or Jacob or Mongers on that article because I can't understand what they're all saying :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 17, 2015, 04:42:13 PM
I don't think anyone who went to an Anglo-Saxon school knows how to pronounce Latin correctly, in my experience.

We had Latin available in actual "public school". ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Hic Haec Hoc Huius Huius Huius Huic Huic Huic....erm....that is all I remember.  Thanks High School Latin!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 04:44:17 PM

Sonitvs.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2015, 04:46:35 PM
Hic Haec Hoc Huius Huius Huius Huic Huic Huic....

Sounds like a cartoon bubble indicating a solid night of boozing.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on February 17, 2015, 04:52:54 PM
Hic Haec Hoc Huius Huius Huius Huic Huic Huic....

Sounds like a cartoon bubble indicating a solid night of boozing.  :P

What did you think of the article?  Just asking because the ISIS is thinking kind of reminded me of Judaism, I mean if Judaism was in favor of slaughtering non-Jews and keeping slaves...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 17, 2015, 04:50:56 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2015, 04:44:17 PM

Sonitvs.

Sorry I only took latin for about a year so if there's any hidden meaning behind that - it is beyond me. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

I don't know if I agree with Yi or Jacob or Mongers on that article because I can't understand what they're all saying :weep:

I don't know if those are mutually exclusive positions, though once again Yi's played the enigmatically nuanced card, so who knows for sure.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Berkut

One thing about the article that I found kind of alarming is that I don't think there is any way to combat that kind of extremism except with rather brutal amounts of force. Which is, conversely, exactly what they want.

He goes on quite a bit about the "silent salafis" which is interesting for a theological/argument viewpoint, but in any practical sense I cannot see how they could possibly be an answer. They aren't going to appeal to whatever it is that is driving this violent radicalism, even if they can make a rationally compelling theological argument for being an alternative.

This strikes me as a straight up and relatively unambiguous diametrically opposed cultural conflict where there really cannot be any real accommodation on either side. That is pretty alarming.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on February 17, 2015, 04:56:34 PM
though once again Yi's played the enigmatically nuanced card, so who knows for sure.

CDM, natch.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Well I think a large segment of the Western foreign 'fighters'(murders) thinking of heading to the ME, aren't the sort to be distracted by a nicely esoteric theological argument, they're going there for the FPS style murder and mayhem.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on February 17, 2015, 04:59:09 PM
One thing about the article that I found kind of alarming is that I don't think there is any way to combat that kind of extremism except with rather brutal amounts of force. Which is, conversely, exactly what they want.

He goes on quite a bit about the "silent salafis" which is interesting for a theological/argument viewpoint, but in any practical sense I cannot see how they could possibly be an answer. They aren't going to appeal to whatever it is that is driving this violent radicalism, even if they can make a rationally compelling theological argument for being an alternative.

This strikes me as a straight up and relatively unambiguous diametrically opposed cultural conflict where there really cannot be any real accommodation on either side. That is pretty alarming.

Not really.  He makes the argument that our current effort to contain and weaken can potentially be effective.  Once IS is no longer a growing, vigorous entity, but instead is a sad bunch of jihadists hiding in their bunkers, the recuiting and fundraising dries up.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on February 17, 2015, 05:03:40 PM
Well I think a large segment of the Western foreign 'fighters'(murders) thinking of heading to the ME, aren't the sort to be distracted by a nicely esoteric theological argument, they're going there for the FPS style murder and mayhem.
Yep. And in much of their 'territory' there will be pragmatic supporters who are backing them because, well because you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of them.

And of course the side-effect of their territorial is that they are arguably easier to 'beat' than al-Qaeda.
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Hic Haec Hoc Huius Huius Huius Huic Huic Huic....erm....that is all I remember.  Thanks High School Latin!

"...Hunc, hanc, hoc"?

Heck, I used to know this. :hmm:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."