The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: frunk on February 16, 2015, 12:12:46 PM
Quote from: PJL on February 16, 2015, 11:46:53 AM
I disagree. Most likely alternative if Gadaffi died peacefully would have been one of his sons taking over. Law and order would have still prevailed. Even North Korea is better than lawlessness.

If Gadaffi wasn't toppled I think an extended Syrian type Civil War was most likely.  It looks like Libya is headed that way anyway, but at least they had a shot at a less horrible result.  I'd still rather a dozen Libyan style interventions to the Iraqi invasion, with the resultant expense and mess.

Yeah, it's not like the West doing nothing to stop Assad's genocide of his own people prevented ISIL from taking hold there.

Martinus

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on February 16, 2015, 12:07:18 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 16, 2015, 11:35:13 AM
Quote from: KRonn on February 16, 2015, 11:28:44 AM
The West should have left Ghadaffi in control in Libya. It's just become another hugely failed state that the extremists can fight over.

If something needs to be done then Egypt and Saudi Arabia can go in. They both have large militaries, especially Egypt which probably has an army as large as France or the UK. That way Arabs/Muslims can try and determine how the nation is rebuilt, not have a western nation be the main driver in yet another Muslim nation.
I don't think that your idea of the West fighting to keep Gaddafi in power (because that's what it would have taken) is very realistic.  The breakdown of  central authority was always the likeliest outcome of Gaddafi's rule.  At least the Western intervention created the small chance that chaos could be averted.  That it didn't work doesn't mean it was a bad idea, since the alternatives were worse.

I think he would have won on his own. NATO intervened because it looked like the war was turning against the rebels--they were being slowly pushed back toward Benghazi--and Gaddafi would have remembered the West's willingness to turn against him.

It looks like Assad is winning too. And he is still in power. But half of Syria is now in ISIL's hands.

It's a quagmire either way, so I'm glad the West at least took a moral (if, ultimately, futile) stance on Libya.

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on February 16, 2015, 06:32:05 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 16, 2015, 06:28:44 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 16, 2015, 06:27:00 PM
http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

Amazing article.
Can you give us a little more than that?
Islamic State is Islamic.  People who argue this are retarded and if anything making things worse.

Even when you are right, you are incapable of making a sensible statement.

Your second sentence should have read "people who argue against this" I presume?

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 03:22:05 AM

Your second sentence should have read "people who argue against this" I presume?

So he left out a word.  We all knew what he meant.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2015, 08:17:25 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 03:22:05 AM

So he left out a word.  We all knew what he meant.

Well, he could also mean "Islamic State is not Islamic.  People who argue this are retarded and if anything making things worse."

Also one word difference. :P

Jacob

Admiral Yi

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2015, 11:48:32 AM
Which statement are you referring to?

Really?

How about this: if you think I misunderstood you, state your position clearly and explicitly and I'll tell you if I agree with you or not.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2015, 11:52:58 AM
mongers is a goofball.

Okay. I misunderstood you. I thought Rasmussen was being a goofball. You win this time, Admiral.

(note: this does not indicate any position on whether mongers is a goofball or not)

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 16, 2015, 07:27:21 PM
For the Latin scholars: is Pilate pronounced Pilot or Pilate(s)? Or Pilatey?
It's not a Latin word.  The name was, IIRC, Pontius Pilatus in Latin.  In Englsih, Pilate is pronounced much like the title of a guy who flies a plane.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Ed just got his Pontius Pilates instructor certification.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on February 17, 2015, 11:54:43 AM
(note: this does not indicate any position on whether mongers is a goofball or not)

We should have a poll. Actually, we shouldn't bother, cause we already know the proposition would win handily.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?