The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: mongers on October 14, 2014, 07:51:30 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 14, 2014, 07:04:18 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 14, 2014, 01:19:29 PM
All this bullshit about no US boots on the ground while the Army of the Republic of Viet Nam the Iraqi Army carries the load is exactly that:  bullshit.

At least the ARVN put up a fight for awhile.

Well that was my point, and one that Viking in his inimitable style completely failed to pick up.

Hell, I actually remember seeing the TV news reports of the fighting in 1975.

I wasn't endorsing the view, just observing it exists.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2014, 05:51:57 AM
Well that was my point, and one that Viking in his inimitable style completely failed to pick up.

It's mongers.  Just read his stuff and move on.  Don't try to understand it; that way lies madness.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2014, 06:47:21 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2014, 05:51:57 AM

It's mongers.  Just read his stuff and move on.  Don't try to understand it; that way lies madness.

It's Grumbler. He'll be dead soon and sadly the forum will just get a little bit more pleasant.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2014, 06:51:48 AM
It's Grumbler. He'll be dead soon and sadly the forum will just get a little bit more pleasant.  :(
They've been saying that since the Roman times, and it still hasn't happened.

KRonn

WMDs were found in Iraq after all, thousands of them, mostly old now. Findings kept a secret by the Bush admin and apparently also by the Obama admin. Why?
Now also fears that ISIL has gotten hold of some before Iraqi govt. could destroy them. Seeing some reports of ISIL using chemical weapons though, and worried if they can sneak some of the chemicals into other countries.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/14/world/middleeast/us-casualties-of-iraq-chemical-weapons.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Banner&module=span-ab-top-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

As Iraq has been shaken anew by violence, and past security gains have collapsed amid Sunni-Shiite bloodletting and the rise of the Islamic State, this long-hidden chronicle illuminates the persistent risks of the country's abandoned chemical weapons.

Many chemical weapons incidents clustered around the ruins of the Muthanna State Establishment, the center of Iraqi chemical agent production in the 1980s.

Since June, the compound has been held by the Islamic State, the world's most radical and violent jihadist group.

In a letter sent to the United Nations this summer, the Iraqi government said that about 2,500 corroded chemical rockets remained on the grounds, and that Iraqi officials had witnessed intruders looting equipment before militants shut down the surveillance cameras. 

Malthus

Quote from: KRonn on October 15, 2014, 09:30:06 AM
WMDs were found in Iraq after all, thousands of them, mostly old now. Findings kept a secret by the Bush admin and apparently also by the Obama admin. Why?
Now also fears that ISIL has gotten hold of some before Iraqi govt. could destroy them. Seeing some reports of ISIL using chemical weapons though, and worried if they can sneak some of the chemicals into other countries.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/14/world/middleeast/us-casualties-of-iraq-chemical-weapons.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Banner&module=span-ab-top-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

As Iraq has been shaken anew by violence, and past security gains have collapsed amid Sunni-Shiite bloodletting and the rise of the Islamic State, this long-hidden chronicle illuminates the persistent risks of the country's abandoned chemical weapons.

Many chemical weapons incidents clustered around the ruins of the Muthanna State Establishment, the center of Iraqi chemical agent production in the 1980s.

Since June, the compound has been held by the Islamic State, the world's most radical and violent jihadist group.

In a letter sent to the United Nations this summer, the Iraqi government said that about 2,500 corroded chemical rockets remained on the grounds, and that Iraqi officials had witnessed intruders looting equipment before militants shut down the surveillance cameras. 

My admittedly uninformed understanding was that chemical weapons lose their potency if stored improperly for too long. If so, these may be duds.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Less potent chemical weapons I suspect could still be rather dangerous, even if militarily not effective any longer.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on October 15, 2014, 11:07:56 AM
Less potent chemical weapons I suspect could still be rather dangerous, even if militarily not effective any longer.

Certainly dangerous for those attempting to "loot" a bunch of old corroding poison gas rockets.  ;) Hell, they may be doing everyone a favour, playing around with that stuff!  :lol: That is, assuming any accident harms only them.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on October 15, 2014, 10:35:20 AM

My admittedly uninformed understanding was that chemical weapons lose their potency if stored improperly for too long. If so, these may be duds.

Depends on which kind and how long and under which conditions.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

KRonn

I assume many of the weapons, shells, are now ineffective for their intended use but I would think the worry is if the chemicals can be removed to be used in another way, depending on which chems and how long they retain some potency. Dangerous to remove the stuff but all of ISIL isn't just a rag tag bunch of incompetents.

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on October 15, 2014, 12:02:04 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 15, 2014, 11:07:56 AM

Certainly dangerous for those attempting to "loot" a bunch of old corroding poison gas rockets.  ;) Hell, they may be doing everyone a favour, playing around with that stuff!  :lol: That is, assuming any accident harms only them.

I think the people ordering the people to obtain these weapons don't care too much how dangerous it is for them.

But a old shell full of sarin or tabun or mustard gas I imagine would be rather dangerous in an enclosed area, so a theater or something like that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Chlorine and mustard agents have a tremendous half-life as opposed to Zyklon-Ed, which has a half-life of approximately 8 hours after Taco Bell.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2014, 01:50:33 PM
Chlorine and mustard agents have a tremendous half-life as opposed to Zyklon-Ed, which has a half-life of approximately 8 hours after Taco Bell.

MK II Dutch Oven
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Malthus on October 15, 2014, 10:35:20 AM

depends on the type.
During a dig in Poperinge, on an old allied logistics-center of WW1 we retrieved some 7 tonnes of munitions, most of it chemical in nature.
During one incident there was a suspected leak from the shells. The bombdisposal squad that was a near permanent fixture of our dig got into their spacesuits pronto and we got to the other side of the terrain (500 m away).
Luckily no phosphor or unstable detonators were in that dump (we got that junk elsewhere) or things might have gotten a bit hairy

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 15, 2014, 01:52:21 PM
MK II Dutch Oven

To which I'm guessing Mrs. Ed has built up an immunity to by this point.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall