The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

You're Canadian, ergo a Euroweenie.  Monarchist assfuck.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Alberta is the exception, though Beeb's Manitoban roots make him suspicious.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 10, 2014, 11:42:13 AM
And/or it is Seedy like behavior.

I just keep it in perspective, and not freak out about it like some angst-ridden 16 year old that's read too much Nietzche.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on October 09, 2014, 03:37:11 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 09, 2014, 03:07:31 PM
Interestingly, the NON-fungibility of the natural gas market (as opposed to oil) is a major political concern: Russia's threat to turn the gas pipes off gives them more clout in Europe than they otherwise would have.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the Leviathan field goes on-line through Greece. Any of you heavy-hitting economics types know anything about that? Minsky? Viking?

Leviathan is probably nice to have, but it isn't a huge field in any way. Probably larger than average though... It will make israel self sufficient in gas though.

That was my understanding too.  For a rinky-dinky country like Israel it is big potatoes but nothing on the scale that would have big impact on Europe as a whole.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 10, 2014, 12:09:59 PM
Interestingly, the NON-fungibility of the natural gas market (as opposed to oil) is a major political concern: Russia's threat to turn the gas pipes off gives them more clout in Europe than they otherwise would have.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the Leviathan field goes on-line through Greece. Any of you heavy-hitting economics types know anything about that? Minsky? Viking?

Leviathan is probably nice to have, but it isn't a huge field in any way. Probably larger than average though... It will make israel self sufficient in gas though.

That was my understanding too.  For a rinky-dinky country like Israel it is big potatoes but nothing on the scale that would have big impact on Europe as a whole.

I keep seeing the figure that the 'energy triange' (the Aphrodite & Leviathan fields, basically) has enough reserves to supply Euros for 20 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Triangle

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/is-the-new-cyprus-greece-israel-energy-triangle-casting-a-net-for-turkey.aspx?PageID=238&NID=33097&NewsCatID=396

http://www.naturalgaseurope.com/energy-triangle-dynamics-east-mediterranean-basin

Of course, that's based on industry bumpf. It's a bit short of hard facts.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on October 10, 2014, 01:02:08 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 10, 2014, 12:09:59 PM

I keep seeing the figure that the 'energy triange' (the Aphrodite & Leviathan fields, basically) has enough reserves to supply Euros for 20 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Triangle

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/is-the-new-cyprus-greece-israel-energy-triangle-casting-a-net-for-turkey.aspx?PageID=238&NID=33097&NewsCatID=396

http://www.naturalgaseurope.com/energy-triangle-dynamics-east-mediterranean-basin

Of course, that's based on industry bumpf. It's a bit short of hard facts.

hmm.. 20 years? Look there are some Russian and Alegerian fields with 20 times Leviathan's reserves. There are at least 20 fields in the north sea larger than Leviathan. I think by supplying europe they mean supplying gas to europe as opposed to supplying all of europe's gas. 20 years sounds like a relatively total life span of a field, but it sounds like the initial estimates before they do some mid life recompletion for the field.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

MadImmortalMan

Is there a specific reason that the official White House statements about it always refer to them as ISIL rather than ISIS?

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

They started here with "ISIS" (Islamic State in Iraq and Syria), then switched to "ISIL" (Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant), but for the past weeks, media are calling them just "IS."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 12, 2014, 01:21:54 AM
Is there a specific reason that the official White House statements about it always refer to them as ISIL rather than ISIS?

No clue.

grumbler

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 10, 2014, 10:29:01 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 09, 2014, 09:12:55 PM
Defenestration.

My wife's favorite historical event ever is the Defenestration of Prague.  That was one way I knew she was a keeper. :wub:

Which defenestration?  There were actually at least two.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!