The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

KRonn

Quote from: Hansmeister on August 12, 2014, 07:14:09 AM
Quote from: KRonn on August 12, 2014, 07:03:20 AM
Quote from: mongers on August 11, 2014, 04:06:57 PM
Obama due to make a statement within the next few minutes on military action in Iraq:

http://www.reuters.com/

He's now said that this is going to take a long time to stop/defeat ISIS. Yep, prepare everyone for a long term campaign which will consist of assisting friendly forces on the ground with supplies, military equipment and air strikes. IMO they need to get very serious with air strikes, but perhaps that needs to wait until there are more ground forces to work with, which means resupplied and re-equipped Kurds and Iraqi forces.

Wasn't it just a three weeks ago Obama wanted Congress to repeal the Authorization to Use Force in Iraq?  I guess his little unicorn world is slowly getting destroyed by reality.

Well, even if Congress and the President do repeal that, they can't plan on when others may make war or other trouble, just because we're not interested anymore. In fact that's probably when others will make trouble because they think there may be no interest/response.

The Minsky Moment

Under War Powers, President could deploy forces for 90 days even absent AUMF.  And I can't imagine it would be difficult to get further authorization for the sorts of things he is contemplating, even with the pack of fractious clowns in Congress. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 12, 2014, 10:51:46 AM
Under War Powers, President could deploy forces for 90 days even absent AUMF.  And I can't imagine it would be difficult to get further authorization for the sorts of things he is contemplating, even with the pack of fractious clowns in Congress. 

Depends on public support.  What sorts of things do you think he's contemplating?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Oh, I would not put it past the House at all to simultaneously bitch about Obama The Tyrant abusing his executive powers, complain that he is weak and ineffective because he doesn't respond vigorously enough to ISIS, and at the exact same time categorically refuse to pass any meaningful authorization to take greater action.

And then sue him no matter what he does.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Viking

Quote from: Berkut on August 12, 2014, 11:03:16 AM

Oh, I would not put it past the House at all to simultaneously bitch about Obama The Tyrant abusing his executive powers, complain that he is weak and ineffective because he doesn't respond vigorously enough to ISIS, and at the exact same time categorically refuse to pass any meaningful authorization to take greater action.

And then sue him no matter what he does.

Your training is complete young padwan, welcome to the Liberal side.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on August 12, 2014, 11:02:37 AM

Depends on public support.  What sorts of things do you think he's contemplating?

Public pressure against intervening in Syria added to Pres Obama not intervening, but I don't think there will be that pressure against intervening against ISIS. I think the opposite will be true and that the pressure is to take action of some kind, especially to help the Kurds and overall to assist in stopping ISIS. I don't see any desire to put troops in but even for an air campaign there will have to be some special forces in working with the Kurds and Iraqis on the ground, and some of those US troops are certainly already there. British SAS troops are there as well, at least being reported as such.

CountDeMoney

Obama wants to use force when the goals are finite, measurable and achievable.  Saving refugees on a mountaintop or preventing the Kurdish seat of government from being overrun fit those specific parameters.  While I felt the same about Syria, he apparently did not consider action there as fitting that definition.

The Minsky Moment

Agreed with CdM on all points.
Territorialization was a strategic mistake by ISIS. It's ultimately a form of self-containment.  Let's say they run the tables and bowl over both the Kurds and the Iraqi rump regime.  Then they will find themselves with a hostile Turkey on one front and 100,000 angry Iranian revolutionary guards on the other.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 12, 2014, 01:30:09 PM
Territorialization was a strategic mistake by ISIS. It's ultimately a form of self-containment.  Let's say they run the tables and bowl over both the Kurds and the Iraqi rump regime.  Then they will find themselves with a hostile Turkey on one front and 100,000 angry Iranian revolutionary guards on the other.

What was the alternative for them?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on August 12, 2014, 01:32:36 PM

If they really want to form a state, the alternative is to not over-reach.

Which they may very well be doing, by the way. Are they really trying to take over the Kurds, or the southern, Shia dominated parts of Iraq?

Or just trying to purge what they've seized so far?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on August 12, 2014, 01:35:42 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 12, 2014, 01:32:36 PM

If they really want to form a state, the alternative is to not over-reach.

Which they may very well be doing, by the way. Are they really trying to take over the Kurds, or the southern, Shia dominated parts of Iraq?

Or just trying to purge what they've seized so far?

That's a valid point.  I guess it's just hard to stop when you've had so much success.  They probably think they can conquer and either force-convert or kill all non-Sunnis in the region.

Grinning_Colossus

Yeah, I very much doubt that they're thinking rationally. They think they're the Rashidun Caliphate reborn, and that, just as God once led the armies of Islam to victory over Rome and Persia, so he will again.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

The Brain

The only way they can be stopped is if Obama accidentally pushes the wrong button.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.