The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on August 11, 2014, 02:22:58 PMShelf, I remember you originally being quite keen on Maliki.
I don't think I've ever been keen on Maliki. My view of the surge, at the time, was that it was pointless without political reconciliation, of which there was no evidence, and that when the Americans left it'd be the Sunni asking them to stay while Shia parties shoved them out the door.

He's been a pretty openly authoritarian and sectarian PM from the start.

QuoteHas he gone yet ie has his personal army left the streets?
No. His personal army is the Iraqi army. He's been in charge for eight years and used the power of patronage pretty well. The best equipped and trained bits of Iraq's military are loyal to him.

QuoteThe wiki article on Yazidi's says the exact opposite of that...instead that the angel refused God's order to bow before Adam (and that is why Islamists think that angel is the devil).  :huh:
Yeah I thought they did worship Lucifer, just in their view Lucifer was right not to bow down to Adam and God rewarded him for it. He didn't fall because of his pride, that was justifiable.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2014, 06:59:36 PM
Leave it to Spellus to have the Girls of The Yazidi, 2013-14 pin-up calendar.  With the bonus months.

Sez the guy who goes for Persians. Fiery, devil-worshiping refugee hotties? Yes, please.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Sheilbh

Oh and on who's involved, as well as the SAS rumours, the UK is definitely helping with the humanitarian airlifts and apparently doing more on surveillance. We could/should probably do more.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on August 11, 2014, 07:04:59 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2014, 06:59:36 PM
Leave it to Spellus to have the Girls of The Yazidi, 2013-14 pin-up calendar.  With the bonus months.

Sez the guy who goes for Persians. Fiery, devil-worshiping refugee hotties? Yes, please.

Persians > Corgis

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on August 11, 2014, 02:48:11 PM
This is going to make a great competitive/co-op game someday...

yeah you can just see the next instalment of the COIN series can't you?

Viking

Quote from: Hansmeister on August 11, 2014, 04:00:27 PM
Fun facts on Yazidis:

They are a variation of Zoroastrianism.

They worship an angel who defied God and bowed down to Adam instead.

They ban the eating of .... Lettuce? WTF?

Variant of Zoroastrianism, yes.
Worship an angel who defied God and bowed down to Adam instead, no.
They ban the eating of ....Lettuce?, yes

The don't worship the devil or satan or whatever. They just don't believe that evil comes from the devil and they believe that the creator god left the running of the world to 7 angels. This is the Yezidi version of the blood libel and why (in addition to being weak) they are being targeted now.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on August 11, 2014, 04:06:57 PM
Obama due to make a statement within the next few minutes on military action in Iraq:

http://www.reuters.com/

He's now said that this is going to take a long time to stop/defeat ISIS. Yep, prepare everyone for a long term campaign which will consist of assisting friendly forces on the ground with supplies, military equipment and air strikes. IMO they need to get very serious with air strikes, but perhaps that needs to wait until there are more ground forces to work with, which means resupplied and re-equipped Kurds and Iraqi forces.

Hansmeister

Quote from: KRonn on August 12, 2014, 07:03:20 AM
Quote from: mongers on August 11, 2014, 04:06:57 PM
Obama due to make a statement within the next few minutes on military action in Iraq:

http://www.reuters.com/

He's now said that this is going to take a long time to stop/defeat ISIS. Yep, prepare everyone for a long term campaign which will consist of assisting friendly forces on the ground with supplies, military equipment and air strikes. IMO they need to get very serious with air strikes, but perhaps that needs to wait until there are more ground forces to work with, which means resupplied and re-equipped Kurds and Iraqi forces.

Wasn't it just a three weeks ago Obama wanted Congress to repeal the Authorization to Use Force in Iraq?  I guess his little unicorn world is slowly getting destroyed by reality.

Tamas

I am always amazed how soldiers are apparently free to talk shit about their commander in chief. He is your ultimate superior dude. Trashing him in public must be the same as spitting on the national flag.

The Brain

Loyalty isn't a big thing in the US. If he does manage to fire him though I will be impressed.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on August 12, 2014, 07:49:52 AM
I am always amazed how soldiers are apparently free to talk shit about their commander in chief. He is your ultimate superior dude. Trashing him in public must be the same as spitting on the national flag.

It's the whole free country, free speech thing.  After years of Orban no doubt that can be disorienting.

There is a regulation that allows discipline of commissioned officers who use refer contemptuously to the President, but IIRC it does not apply to rank-and-file or NCOs.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson