Staind singer stops concert to demand audience members stop ‘molesting’ teen

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2014, 06:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: merithyn on June 07, 2014, 09:38:05 AMI'm also fairly sure that "biology" doesn't play a part.

A pretty huge claim.

Biology still plays a huge part for me, even though the evolutionary pressures that created the biological impulses are gone. I'd say it's the same for nearly everyone.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 09, 2014, 02:21:35 AM
Quote from: merithyn on June 07, 2014, 09:38:05 AMI'm also fairly sure that "biology" doesn't play a part.

A pretty huge claim.

Biology still plays a huge part for me, even though the evolutionary pressures that created the biological impulses are gone. I'd say it's the same for nearly everyone.

I was a bit curious how she could be so certain.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 09, 2014, 02:21:35 AM

A pretty huge claim.

I'm sure she overstretched, but a huge part? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Why not?  Unless I'm misunderstanding how the term is being used here, doesn't biology drive pretty much everything?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

You know I am a believer in the enormous impact of genetics :contract:

But in the end it doesn't really matter.  I mean sure it makes sense if you are a super hot sexpot to try to cash that in with a rich partner, you just don't want to have a class (or gender or whatever) of people where that is their primary path to fame and riches.  If people are not incentivized to use their own gene-given talents to better society than the system doesn't work.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on June 09, 2014, 08:56:10 AM
Why not?  Unless I'm misunderstanding how the term is being used here, doesn't biology drive pretty much everything?

In some abstract sense sure but then so do chemistry and physics.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 09, 2014, 08:56:10 AM

Who the hell knows?  Being social and having so much of ourselves defined by culture is how humans are constructed.  The only way to test it would be highly unethical experiments.

derspiess

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 09, 2014, 09:24:16 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 09, 2014, 08:58:48 AM
The only way to test it would be highly unethical experiments.

Go on.

Isolating humans from social contact and comparing behavior with socialized humans.