News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on July 15, 2014, 12:10:43 PM
David Hasselhof is going to rock the finale.

Only if he brings his light-up jacket like he had in his Berlin Wall concert.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

Quote from: Syt on July 15, 2014, 12:02:34 PM
Celebration in Berlin today. Musical guest: Helen Fischer, one of, if not the most successful German musical artist at the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haECT-SerHk

:bleeding:

I assume then that the Eurovision is hugely popular in Germany? Because this song wouldn't even beat Armenia. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

I believe there's a large demographic intersect in her music, joining young proles who want nothing to do with foreign music and who music see primarily as something to which you shout drunkenly along on the one hand, and the people 50+, especially females.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: Liep on July 15, 2014, 01:39:42 PM
I assume then that the Eurovision is hugely popular in Germany? Because this song wouldn't even beat Armenia. :P
Not a fan, but she easily outsells every Eurovision contest singer in German-speaking countries. Eurovision is not taken seriously at all in Germany. Apart from Lena Meyer-Landrut about five years ago I couldn't name a single German contestant. 

Iormlund

Quote from: Zanza on July 15, 2014, 01:57:47 PMEurovision is not taken seriously at all in Germany.

Is it taken seriously anywhere else? :unsure:

Liep

Quote from: Zanza on July 15, 2014, 01:57:47 PM
Quote from: Liep on July 15, 2014, 01:39:42 PM
Not a fan, but she easily outsells every Eurovision contest singer in German-speaking countries. Eurovision is not taken seriously at all in Germany. Apart from Lena Meyer-Landrut about five years ago I couldn't name a single German contestant. 

It sure sounds like Eurovision music though, maybe they need better PR people for the German market.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

What about that chick who did 99 luftballoons

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

It's beginning again! o/ 88 etc.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/nationalism-runs-rampant-in-world-cup-germany/

QuoteNationalism runs rampant in World Cup Germany

While many members of the Jewish community support the national team, others fear the accompanying xenophobia brought on by football fever

BERLIN — When child Holocaust survivor, Huguette Hermann, 86, watched Germany defeat Brazil 7-1 last week, she was proud of her country's team. She was particularly impressed with their humility after winning.

"They were so fair, they didn't exult or make a big show. I liked that. I think this is something new. I don't think that would have been like that in the 50s or even in the 60s," says Hermann.

Hermann has no problem with all the flags or expressions of German pride currently sweeping the country.

"I think it's normal. Every country would be proud if their team had got so far. If the British team got so far, the British would do just the same," says Hermann.

Hermann fled the Nazis in her native Belgium, and survived World War II in England. In 1950, she moved with her then husband to West Germany where she encountered an "atmosphere redolent of Nazism," she recalls.

"[West] Germany in the 50s was awful," she says, remembering Germans waxing nostalgic for the Nazi period and a latent animosity in the air. In the 50s she encountered a country without smiles and a cruel bureaucracy. "Today, they've gone to the other extreme," she observes.

Hermann lives on the bustling Chauseestrasse neighborhood of Berlin, where the atmosphere is light and festive. People of all races and nationalities walk the streets, which ahead of the World Cup finals are heavily adorned with German flags and fans wearing funny costumes supporting Germany.

Many of the team's fans are not even German. In Berlin's touristy Hackescher Markt, young people with faces painted red, yellow, and black wear artificial flower leis in the same colors. They drink beer in pubs festooned with German flags. Some speak Swedish; others in American accented English, and the festive atmosphere is akin to Munich's Oktoberfest. However, whereas Munich has its lederhosen, in Berlin during the World Cup is dominated by the German flag.

One German who will not be wearing any flags today is Stefan Kunath, 25. Kunath is an activist in Germany's left of center Die Linke party. In an online correspondence he writes, "Many Germans use the World Cup as [an] outlet to show their suppressed nationalistic feelings. This why soccer is not solely about soccer, but the regaining of German pride after Auschwitz..."

"Only during the World Cup usually sanctioned nationalistic attitudes become mainstream and widely accepted. Recent studies have shown that xenophobia and nationalism are increasing during World Cups in Germany. This is why I am sure that you can't get one thing (a happy football festival) without the other (xenophobia, nationalism)," he writes.

Will Kunath watch the game?

"I think I will watch the game and I hope to see them losing 7:1 for Argentina," writes Kunath.

Those slim odds certainly aren't the hope of Hermann's grandson, Doron Rubin, 32. Rubin was born and raised in the Stuttgart area, and today is the chairman of Berlin's fast growing Orthodox community, Adass Jisroel.

"The question if I feel like I am supporting my national team is a bit tricky, there is a long answer somewhere, but I guess I support them like a Jew in Switzerland is supporting Switzerland," says Rubin.

Other members of the Jewish community find it difficult to support the national team. Ioulia Isserlis, 24, like many of today's younger Jews in Germany, immigrated as a child from the Former Soviet Union. She grew up in Dresden, which unlike multicultural Berlin, is known as a less tolerant and conservative city, with annual neo-Nazi marches.

Today, Isserlis is happy to live in Berlin.

"In Dresden, they made sure that I never felt at home. In Berlin I feel at home because of the international community," says Isserlis.

Her experiences with German anti-Semitism and xenophobia weigh on Isserlis's relationship to her national team.

"As a Jew, you cannot fully support them," she says.

Yet, Isserlis is also an avid soccer fan.

"Germany is one of the best teams nowadays, of course if they win, they deserve it. If they win, I won't have negative feelings."

And which team would Isserlis support, if not Germany?

"If I were to choose a country to support, it would be Israel. But unfortunately Israeli soccer is not there yet," says Isserlis.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

Tamas

I am quite open to the idea that Germans in general are deep within quite convinced that they are the bestest country/people in the world, and I would not be in quite total agreement with them on that, but:
-if Serbs/Hungarians/Chechens/etc. are allowed to be convinced of that, it is hardly fair to deny this to Germans and
-that article is idiotic

Syt

There was a minor media shitstorm about the celebration in Berlin yesterday (and no, it's not about the "music").

Some players decided to do a little dance: "The gauchos walk like this" (hunched over in defeat) "Germans/victors walk like this" (upright and happy).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

The truck they used for the parade yesterday is shown in front of my office right now. :)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on July 16, 2014, 02:50:09 AM

Already running out of diversions for the Gaza operation?

Tamas

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 16, 2014, 08:45:01 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 16, 2014, 02:50:09 AM

Already running out of diversions for the Gaza operation?
oh please :bleeding: