News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2014, 08:57:20 AM
Definitely one of the better finals in recent memory.
Yes, but to a large extent it was saved by Babyface Neckbeard's goal.

Warspite

A lot of very poor punditry here saying that Germany is a great team without stand-out individuals, but I'm struggling to think which of Lahm, Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Mueller, Oezil, Kroos, Neuer and Goetze wouldn't walk into any club side in the world?

Germany won the WC because it blended fantastic individual talent with a team ethos.

The narrative about Argentina is also lazy - Messi underperformed, and that's all we are hearing about, but the team progressed because of the excellent performances of Mascherano and Di Maria, among others, who are themselves also world-class players.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Syt

For me, Mascherano and Romero were the best players of Argentina.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2014, 08:53:25 AM
Quote from: Maladict on July 14, 2014, 06:46:49 AM
Rihanna  :x

Seriously?  Elbows too pointy or something?

I'm not much of a fan, either.  Used to like her before the tattoos & piercings and getting back together with the dude who smashed her face.

So anyway the German team had to drink Budweiser in the locker room?  Ouch.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2014, 09:52:03 AM

Di Maria certainly would have made an impact had he been healthy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maladict

Quote from: derspiess on July 14, 2014, 09:53:01 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2014, 08:53:25 AM
Quote from: Maladict on July 14, 2014, 06:46:49 AM
Rihanna  :x

Seriously?  Elbows too pointy or something?

I'm not much of a fan, either.  Used to like her before the tattoos & piercings and getting back together with the dude who smashed her face.

This, and being generally annoying. Terrible music, too.

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on July 14, 2014, 09:53:50 AM

Oh, definitely.

You may have noticed the German players holding up the jersey of Reus during the ceremony yesterday - he's one of Germany's key players but was injured shortly before the tournament.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Germany seemed to have a lot more depth, though.

derspiess

Warspite

Quote from: derspiess on July 14, 2014, 09:53:50 AM

I think he was Argentina's most important player - the swift transition from defence to attack that their counter-attacking style needed was predicated on an in-form Di Maria. Often your most important player is not your best player.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Warspite

Quote from: derspiess on July 14, 2014, 10:31:02 AM
Germany seemed to have a lot more depth, though.

In terms of depth, I think Germany and Belgium had the most. You look at the players they could bring on and it is disgusting. The difference, however, is that the Germans have a far more effective team unit. Belgium look like a really immature team to me.

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

crazy canuck

Quote from: Warspite on July 14, 2014, 09:40:29 AM
A lot of very poor punditry here saying that Germany is a great team without stand-out individuals, but I'm struggling to think which of Lahm, Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Mueller, Oezil, Kroos, Neuer and Goetze wouldn't walk into any club side in the world?

Germany won the WC because it blended fantastic individual talent with a team ethos.

The narrative about Argentina is also lazy - Messi underperformed, and that's all we are hearing about, but the team progressed because of the excellent performances of Mascherano and Di Maria, among others, who are themselves also world-class players.

I dont watch soccer much but to me Lahm and Schweinsteiger really stood out as the class of the field in this tournament.  The strikers are flashy and get a lot of the praise but Lahm and Schweinsteiger seemed to control the play and set everything up.  On top of all that Schweinsteiger was indestructable in the Final.  I would have given the award to him instead of Messi.

derspiess

Quote from: Warspite on July 14, 2014, 10:56:09 AM
Belgium look like a really immature team to me.

Especially that De Bruyne kid, who looks like a 12 year old Prince Harry.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 14, 2014, 11:31:52 AM
Quote from: Warspite on July 14, 2014, 10:56:09 AM
Belgium look like a really immature team to me.

Especially that De Bruyne kid, who looks like a 12 year old Prince Harry.

Well maybe how 12 year olds are typically portrayed on tv.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I tripped garbon's "Prince Harry" alert :P