News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on July 05, 2014, 10:23:47 AM
I don't know who will win in Argentina vs. Belgium, but it will happen in extra time.
:lol: Don't ever change, Tamas.  Seriously, I've got a lot of money with bookies on the line.  :ph34r:

Zoupa

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 04, 2014, 08:33:00 PM
After such an exiting group phase, this knockout stage has brought back the boring world cup :bleeding:

Pretty much... Its too bad really. None of these games will be remembered.

Norgy

Quote from: Zoupa on July 05, 2014, 02:28:27 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 04, 2014, 08:33:00 PM
After such an exiting group phase, this knockout stage has brought back the boring world cup :bleeding:

Pretty much... Its too bad really. None of these games will be remembered.

Not by anyone except their own fans. We can always hope the semis will be great. And that the final won't be like in 1990. :bleeding:

Syt

Regardless of the quality of matches, you know what really annoys me about the World Cup?

How bland it's become. There's almost no local atmosphere from the stadiums. The broadcasts might as well come from European stadiums, and hardcore fans have been priced out of tickets (as a commentator mentioned even league games at the new Maracana are out of reach now for most average fans). Music instruments, flagpoles etc. are verboten.

The stadiums all look pretty much the same.

And I can imagine it's as bland in the stadiums where you're accosted not to local specialties, but only the sponsor approved beers and snacks, and if you want to pay without cash you can only pay with the sponsor's credit card. It's like going to a foreign country, and then avoiding all local food in favor of international franchise chains.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

I don't know how Robben makes it through a day in his life when it seems every time he brushes up against something he must fall down.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

:rolleyes:

Assistant ref is a dead ringer for Gollum.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 05, 2014, 03:28:52 PM
Regardless of the quality of matches, you know what really annoys me about the World Cup?

How bland it's become. There's almost no local atmosphere from the stadiums. The broadcasts might as well come from European stadiums, and hardcore fans have been priced out of tickets (as a commentator mentioned even league games at the new Maracana are out of reach now for most average fans). Music instruments, flagpoles etc. are verboten.

The stadiums all look pretty much the same.

And I can imagine it's as bland in the stadiums where you're accosted not to local specialties, but only the sponsor approved beers and snacks, and if you want to pay without cash you can only pay with the sponsor's credit card. It's like going to a foreign country, and then avoiding all local food in favor of international franchise chains.

Dude you have basically described a problem with sports everywhere.  It is one of the reasons I love College Baseball.  A sport I love that is unpopular enough that common joes like me can actually afford to go and it is not massively profitable so the University contracts local food trucks to do the concessions.  I can take my family and get decent food and enjoy a sport I love and we all have cheers and so forth...of course even there they have all these rules about you cannot bring in flags and stupid crap like that.  We used to have tons of flags.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

God I hate the dutch
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zanza

That new goalie was annoying.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

HVC

Norgy

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on July 05, 2014, 05:54:04 PM
That new goalie was annoying.

He should have been booked but he is good at stopping penalties.

Monoriu

Mission accomplished.  All North American, Asian and African teams out.  Victory for the status quo. 

The next stage is to get rid of Netherlands to ensure that only a team that has won a WC before will win it this time.