News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 26, 2014, 06:47:38 PM
Red cards can be harsh and certainly can change the dynamics of games but they're usually handed out for pretty clear offenses and it's not like there are two red cards handed out a game or something. It's just something you live with and IMO makes the narrative of the game a lot more interesting than if you could simply sub on another player.

A team holding onto dear life for the draw after their player gets sent off and desperately needing the points is incredibly dramatic and contributes to the allure of the game.

It makes the narrative of the game more interesting in the same way the BCS made the narrative of the college football season more interesting.

Take the Italy and Uruguay game. A critical game for both countries. What determines it? In part that Italy got a guy sent off and Uruguay didn't. Yeah a team can overcome that, but I'd rather see the teams compete at top quality and the more skillful team move on.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

I think that a penalty is a much severe punishment than a red card.  And unlike red cards, they are often wrongly given.

Monoriu

Prediction:

Brazil vs Chile.  Brazil wins.
Columbia vs Uruguay.  Uruguay wins.
Netherlands vs Mexico.  Netherlands wins.
Costa Rica vs Greece.  Greece wins.
France vs Nigeria.  France wins.
Germany vs Algeria.  Germany wins.
Argentina vs Switzerland.  Argentina wins.
Belgium vs the US.  Belgium wins.

Argentina is actually the most important one.  They are the only previous WC winner guarding the "southern" route.  If Argentina loses, at least one team in the final won't be a previous WC winner. 

jimmy olsen

After their respective performances I have to think that Costa Rica is a heavy favorite over Greece.

I understand that's not what you want to happen, but you should at least be realistic.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 26, 2014, 09:55:55 PM
After their respective performances I have to think that Costa Rica is a heavy favorite over Greece.

I understand that's not what you want to happen, but you should at least be realistic.

Upsets happen all the time in football :contract:

Josephus

Quote from: Monoriu on June 26, 2014, 09:39:03 PM
Prediction:

Argentina is actually the most important one.  They are the only previous WC winner guarding the "southern" route.  If Argentina loses, at least one team in the final won't be a previous WC winner.

Fair enough..all the favourites...the only one I'd disagree with is Costa Rica v. Greece...I think Costa Rica's flying style will expose Greece's sit back and drink ouzo style.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

alfred russel

For who I want to win, among the realistic candidates, I'd like to see the Netherlands. They are an exciting side from a country with a history as a strong side but have never won the world cup. Also, the play mexico in the first game, and I'd like to see them slaughtered.

After that, maybe Argentina (I like Messi) or a non Brazil south american side. Brazil would be okay too--this isn't the most interesting team they have ever had, but to win a home world cup would have to be a thrill. Germany would be okay too if they score lots of goals.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Quote from: Liep on June 26, 2014, 05:16:03 PM
4th in the 1st stage. Acceptable.

1 frunk          28 28 20 58.33% 8
2 Maladict 27 27 21 56.25% 35
3 Dorsey4Heisman 26 26 22 54.17% 14
4 Liep         26 26 22 54.17% 48
5 Viking      26 26 22 54.17% 52
6 Duque de Bra 26 26 22 54.17% 136
7 Norgy      25 25 23 52.08% 105
8 Josephus 24 24 24 50.00% 20
9 dps          23 23 25 47.92% 37
10 funkmonk 23 23 25 47.92% 91
11 Pedrito    23 23 25 47.92% 136
12 Tamas      23 23 25 47.92% 136
13 Agelastus 21 21 27 43.75% 20
14 josquius 21 21 27 43.75% 92
15 Syt          20 20 28 41.67% 84
16 celedhring 0 0 48 0.00% 136

Grats to the clear winner, frunk. Even best at the tie breaker.

Damn, I suck. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2014, 07:15:42 PM
Quote from: The Larch on June 26, 2014, 07:09:40 PM
Rugby doesn't replace ejected players.

I didn't know that.

A sending off in rugby is pretty rare. More often a miscreant will be sin binned - ordered to leave the field for 10 minutes (no replacement). I'd like a similar rule in football (an orange card) - a yellow is ofren too weak and a red too strong.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on June 26, 2014, 10:48:01 PM

Damn, I suck. :lol:

I wanted to say the differences aren't that big, but then I noticed you finished below Tamas.  :P

Pedrito

Quote from: Monoriu on June 26, 2014, 09:39:03 PM
Prediction:

I think Colombia will win against a shaken Uruguay.   HAAAAMES RODRIGUEEEEZ!

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Maladict

Quote from: Monoriu on June 26, 2014, 09:59:25 PM
Upsets happen all the time in football :contract:

That's probably why you shouldn't be watching it in the first place. :)

Syt

America getting into the spirit?  :hmm:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: alfred russel on June 26, 2014, 08:01:52 PM
Take the Italy and Uruguay game. A critical game for both countries. What determines it? In part that Italy got a guy sent off and Uruguay didn't. Yeah a team can overcome that, but I'd rather see the teams compete at top quality and the more skillful team move on.

The most skillful team doesn't get a player sent off, besides Italy had been playing for a draw even before the red card so it didn't chance much. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

bandwagoners  :rolleyes: And USAians discussing the merits of red cards and penalties is cute. :P

As for the weekend:
I am expecting Brazil to advance, really, but my money is on Chile, because Brazil odds are boring. But Neymar will score.
I don't think there is any bite left in Urugay, so go Colombia!
Holland will advance, Robben will score. This should be the best game this weekend BTW
Costa Rica will win at full time.