Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: alfred russel on June 26, 2014, 02:27:57 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2014, 02:15:07 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 26, 2014, 01:29:42 PM
We have advanced through the group of death. I feel as though we are conquering champions.

Agreed.  The glass is 7/8 full.  As long as we don't get sodomized in the next stage it will be a successful tourney.

I think it will be a successful tourney even with sodomy. The odds of us getting out of the group were considered rather low. Belgium may not be the toughest draw, but we are getting to close to being over our heads and everyone is going to be very highly motivated.

I was thinking about this. I'd put it in derspeiss terms. We are like a hot girl in a miniskirt knocking back shots in a new delhi nightclub. If we stick around long enough, a sodomizing is going to come our way.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Liep

Let's just hope you don't hang yourself when you wake up.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

FunkMonk

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 26, 2014, 02:42:27 PM
The only left fullback on the team is the 21-year-old Durm, who just finished his first full pro-season for Dortmund. The only alternative for right fullback is Groskreutz, also from Dortmund, who isn't a real fullback, but a jack-of-all-trades.  Germany is missing 3 defensive playmakers due to injuries, while two other were not at %100 at the start of the tournament.

Good info, thanks Hans. :thumbsup:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

What's the difference between a fullback and a central defender?  I thought they were the same thing.

Liep

Btw, in the pool, is the 1st stage on its own? Or will both stages count towards final victory? In other words, should I risk it all in the last two games? :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2014, 02:49:46 PM
What's the difference between a fullback and a central defender?  I thought they were the same thing.

In a typical "back 4" with four defenders, the two in the middle are center backs or "centre-halves" for the English and the outer two defenders are fullbacks. Modern soccer tactics typically use quick, offensive-minded fullbacks that help attack and provide width when in possession and are fast enough to re-position when possession is lost. Center backs don't do this.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Maladict

Quote from: Liep on June 26, 2014, 02:50:59 PM
Btw, in the pool, is the 1st stage on its own? Or will both stages count towards final victory? In other words, should I risk it all in the last two games? :P

I think they will be combined.
Looking at the tie breakers, some of you were expecting a LOT of 0-0 draws.  :P

Liep

Another careless studs first tackle, another red. Deserved. What the fuck was Defour thinking?

derspiess

Both yesterday and today I noticed hard core soccer nerds at the bar/pub watching the game on their laptops and on the big screen above the bar.  I guess they were watching feed with some slightly different camera angles or something but it seemed a bit odd.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: derspiess on June 26, 2014, 10:53:14 AM
:ultra: http://soccer.fusion.net/2014/06/26/german-press-predicts-germany-win-makes-fun-of-u-s-obesity-and-debt/

Wonder what kind of pep talk Patton would give the US team before it faces Germany :hmm:

People heard you at the Cinémathèque so there was a 70 mm screening of Patton tonight! :)

Liep

4th in the 1st stage. Acceptable.

1 frunk          28 28 20 58.33% 8
2 Maladict 27 27 21 56.25% 35
3 Dorsey4Heisman 26 26 22 54.17% 14
4 Liep         26 26 22 54.17% 48
5 Viking      26 26 22 54.17% 52
6 Duque de Bra 26 26 22 54.17% 136
7 Norgy      25 25 23 52.08% 105
8 Josephus 24 24 24 50.00% 20
9 dps          23 23 25 47.92% 37
10 funkmonk 23 23 25 47.92% 91
11 Pedrito    23 23 25 47.92% 136
12 Tamas      23 23 25 47.92% 136
13 Agelastus 21 21 27 43.75% 20
14 josquius 21 21 27 43.75% 92
15 Syt          20 20 28 41.67% 84
16 celedhring 0 0 48 0.00% 136

Grats to the clear winner, frunk. Even best at the tie breaker.

alfred russel

Quote from: Liep on June 26, 2014, 03:51:35 PM
Another careless studs first tackle, another red. Deserved. What the fuck was Defour thinking?

Not to derail this again, but a red card is the most draconian punishment I can think of in a popular sport. It is like taking a giant dump on the game. Does anyone actually get hurt from this stuff?

There were just two critical world cup matches derailed by red cards for dangerous tackles, and in neither case did the person at risk sustain an injury enough to even make them leave the game.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Liep

The red card is suppose to be a severe penalty to discourage dangerous play (that can easily cause knee, leg, foot injury). And a match isn't derailed because of going a player down, it's only changed.

And when it's that clearly stated by FIFA that a studs first tackle won't be tolerated it's just inexplicably stupid to still do it.

Monoriu

We celebrate the elimination of all Asian teams  :showoff:

None of them managed to score more than 1 point.  Not a single match won; only one draw for an individual team at most.