News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

There can be good red cards indeed, a trip to end an attacker's run on goal, a handball, etc. You know how it's penalized, but in those cases you might save your team if it's late in the game.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 27, 2014, 12:43:37 PM
It's so a team doesn't just stick all their attackers at the mouth of the goal and lump it up from their own half.

OK, I can see that.  But seems to me rule like no players in the other team's penalty area unless there are defenders there too would more logically attain the same goal and be easier to spot and enforce.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2014, 01:20:09 PM
It's so a team doesn't just stick all their attackers at the mouth of the goal and lump it up from their own half.

OK, I can see that.  But seems to me rule like no players in the other team's penalty area unless there are defenders there too would more logically attain the same goal and be easier to spot and enforce.

Ah yeah, I see your point. Tradition I guess leaves it the way it is.

I have played in indoor leagues where the offside rule was enforced via a line that was painted on the turf could not be crossed until the ball moved over it, so there are variations.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Liep

Yeah, there aren't any offside rules on a 7 man pitch either. And I've even played in indoor games where you were bound by rule to always have at least an attacking player on the opposing half (to remove clutter and give more goals I guess).
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

alfred russel

Maybe something we can also agree on is video replay for cards in major matches? It doesn't have to stop the game, and would only overturn clear mistakes and misses. For example, with Suarez, just send a note to the official that he should be red carded and at the next stoppage he will be sent off.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Liep

A video replay determines that there wasn't a red card or even a penalty, but that has already been scored. What to do?

alfred russel

Quote from: Liep on June 27, 2014, 01:55:08 PM
A video replay determines that there wasn't a red card or even a penalty, but that has already been scored. What to do?

Shit happens. The world advances.

I didn't include penalties in the replay senario because that is obviously quite time sensitive.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Liep

I don't know, I like football like it is. Getting truly upset about a bad call is part of the game now I guess.

Ask me this question when Denmark fails to qualify because of a wrongly called offside that turned down a goal. :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on June 27, 2014, 01:51:32 PM
Maybe something we can also agree on is video replay for cards in major matches? It doesn't have to stop the game, and would only overturn clear mistakes and misses. For example, with Suarez, just send a note to the official that he should be red carded and at the next stoppage he will be sent off.

A little silly to have video review of judgement calls.

DGuller

FIFA isn't going to go for video replays.  That's just a non-starter.  Yes, if you think things through, you can implement it in a totally unobtrusive way.  Just have a fourth official watch the game on TV, and advise the ref on the field by radio that he missed something very material (a clear dive, a mistake due to ref's angle, or one player attacking another one away from the ball).  The ref on the field will still have a final call on everything, so you don't even have to break the tradition of absolute dictatorship of the head ref.

Liep

Yes, but like you said, this is FIFA. That there even is a goal line technology is baffling.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2014, 02:25:22 PM

A little silly to have video review of judgement calls.

Sometimes officials just miss things. I've heard that the officials missed Zidane's headbutt in the WC Finals, but gave him a red card based on either seeing the replay on a screen or being advised by someone who did. Whether or not this is true, it is certainly plausible that a clear red card was missed (or vice versa), and everyone in the world is aware but the error goes uncorrected.

Liep

Indeed, a ref can already give red cards based only on what his lines men say. So yes, it could work with a 4th or 5th ref watching a replay feed, but it's still FIFA.

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2014, 01:20:09 PM

:hmm:
No. No, thanks.

Admiral Yi

Why not?

Who cares if an attacker pitches camp by the corner flag?