Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 23, 2014, 06:36:51 PM
Quote from: sbr on June 23, 2014, 06:30:04 PM

KENT BROCKMAN
(in a commentary booth, bored) Half back passes to the center, back to the wing, back to the center. Center holds it. Holds it. Holds it...

MEXICAN COMMENTATOR
(excitedly) Half back passes to center, back to wing, back to center! Center holds it! Holds it! Holds it!!

A woman I work with is a recent immigrant from Brazil. She was telling me the other day that her husband, a Brazilian, can't stand watching the World Cup anymore. He finds our commentators to boring. "Even when they score," she says, "you hardly notice."
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

lustindarkness

I prefer to watch them in español myself.
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

I don't think Michael Bradley deserves to be in that picture.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josephus

thought he played well against Portugal...missed a sitter at the end, but otherwise was pretty good.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zoupa

He was terrible and cost them 2 points.

Tamas

Tamas' Picks of the Day:

Costa Rica. Ashamed, truly  :Embarrass: But I cannot see England not fucking this one up, and it can (although unlikely) actually matter for CR, as they MIGHT lose first place.
Italy. Fuck Suarez.
Ivory Coast. Greece's football is an abomination.
Japan. It is an utterly meaningless game for Columbia, but Japan has a tiny glitter of hope. People fighting for their lives vs. people who'd rather be on the beach.

Pedrito

Quote from: Tamas on June 24, 2014, 05:01:02 AM
Tamas' Picks of the Day:

Italy. Fuck Suarez.

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo......

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

FunkMonk

Bradley shouldn't have lost possession in that last goal but then again the US defense shouldn't have stood around ball watching and let Varela score so easily. Just a lapse of concentration all around. Bradley is still the most important player on the team and is undroppable at the moment. Can't see anyone else in that role, to be honest.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

PDH

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 24, 2014, 06:25:35 AM
Bradley shouldn't have lost possession in that last goal but then again the US defense shouldn't have stood around ball watching and let Varela score so easily. Just a lapse of concentration all around. Bradley is still the most important player on the team and is undroppable at the moment. Can't see anyone else in that role, to be honest.

Bradley is the best US midfielder.  Sure, he gave that up at the end (FUCK), but he has been the engine that drives this team.  The team had the best run ever for a US team last year, they won CONCACAF, the 2013 Gold Cup, and the team has gelled through Klinsmann's experimenting to find the right course.

Bradley should be playing in a top league in Europe still, to be honest.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on June 24, 2014, 05:01:02 AM
Tamas' Picks of the Day:

Costa Rica. Ashamed, truly  :Embarrass: But I cannot see England not fucking this one up, and it can (although unlikely) actually matter for CR, as they MIGHT lose first place.
Italy. Fuck Suarez.
Ivory Coast. Greece's football is an abomination.
Japan. It is an utterly meaningless game for Columbia, but Japan has a tiny glitter of hope. People fighting for their lives vs. people who'd rather be on the beach.

Stop it, this is getting silly.  :mad:

alfred russel

His major mistakes didn't start at turning the ball over at the end of the game. He also failed to score from point blank range when the goal keeper was out of the play.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

That wasn't a mistake; that was a miracle save by the defender.

FunkMonk

Yeah, what Yi said. Brilliant positioning from the Portugay defender. Just unlucky there.

I do think he had a poor game against Ghana, namely because the Ghana midfield pressed him hard and was tough and physical. He had a much improved game versus Portugal, who let him play his game and gave him a lot more space in the midfield.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 24, 2014, 08:43:06 AM
Yeah, what Yi said. Brilliant positioning from the Portugay defender. Just unlucky there.

I do think he had a poor game against Ghana, namely because the Ghana midfield pressed him hard and was tough and physical. He had a much improved game versus Portugal, who let him play his game and gave him a lot more space in the midfield.

There is a Hungarian football saying: "you are as good as the other team lets you be"