Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I am so betting on French victories from now on  :lol:

Josephus

Quote from: Zanza on June 21, 2014, 03:21:10 PM
The German team looks as tired as Italy yesterday.

Yes. I think the fact that the majority of Italians, Germans, English even, Spanish, Argentinians played so much football in the last 10 months is beginning to show...which is why teams like Costa Rica, Chilie, Iran etc. can hold their own.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

PS...everyone in the pool picked Germany to win :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on June 21, 2014, 04:47:35 AM
My wisdom for the day:

Argentina to win both halfs

Germany to win, and to win both halfs

Nigeria to win, because I can't believe the odds are right on giving them little chance.

Can you let us know your secret? How do you do it? Do you have a crystal ball?  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Maladict

Quote from: Josephus on June 21, 2014, 04:02:35 PM
PS...everyone in the pool picked Germany to win :D

We have been unanimously wrong four times so far. :cool:

Zanza

If Portugal wins against the USA, the last game of this group will be nerve-racking.

Admiral Yi

The announcers kept saying the US wanted Germany to pummel Ghana.  I don't get that.  Isn't it to your advantage to have the team you beat do well?

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 21, 2014, 04:00:24 PM
Not at all impressed with Oezil's play.
I think he was one of the better players for Germany today. The worst were Khedira and especially Lahm. He should not play in defensive midfield anymore, put Schweinsteiger there again. Although Schweinsteiger was so-so as well. Lahm should go back to left or right back.

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 21, 2014, 04:20:12 PM
The announcers kept saying the US wanted Germany to pummel Ghana.  I don't get that.  Isn't it to your advantage to have the team you beat do well?

If Ghana lost to Germany they would have been basically eliminated from moving on, reducing the number of teams competing with the US for 2 spots.  There is also a goal differential as a tie breaker in there somehow I imagine.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 21, 2014, 04:20:12 PM

The US has a tall task to get to 4 points in the group with Portugal and Germany to come. I think the question is, how do you get into the top 2 with 4 points?

If the US ties Portugal and loses to Germany, then Germany is through and likely Ghana if they beat Portugal (and possibly not if Portugal wins).

If the US ties Germany and loses to Portugal, then Germany is through along with the winner of Portugal / Ghana (Ghana might win but lose the tie break to the US and the US would thus advance, but it is complicated and they probably have the edge).

Had Germany just won, then any tie by the US would eliminate Ghana. The permutations with a possible tie with Portugal are more complex, but since Portugal got creamed 4-0 by Germany, the advantage in any tie break with Portugal would seem to be with the US. Also, having Germany on 6 points could basically qualify them before the US game begins, so they may not give a shit about their game against the US.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

I'll watch Germany - USA in Alabama next week. I wonder if the Americans understand when I take a break in the middle of the workshop. :w00t:

Josephus

Quote from: Zanza on June 21, 2014, 04:38:37 PM
I'll watch Germany - USA in Alabama next week. I wonder if the Americans understand when I take a break in the middle of the workshop. :w00t:

the game's been very popular in the US, so it shouldn't be a problem. Mind you, you are going to be in Alabama...which is different.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on June 21, 2014, 04:38:37 PM

Even if they are not soccer watchers they will at least be aware the World Cup is going on and understand.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: alfred russel on June 21, 2014, 04:04:18 PM
Quote from: Tamas on June 21, 2014, 04:47:35 AM
My wisdom for the day:

Argentina to win both halfs

Germany to win, and to win both halfs

Nigeria to win, because I can't believe the odds are right on giving them little chance.

Can you let us know your secret? How do you do it? Do you have a crystal ball?  :P

I don't know, I am amazed at myself.  :D Now Nigeria has to lose to make it a flawlessly screwed up day.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.