News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Norgy on June 22, 2014, 02:43:58 PM
Well, Algeria is France's B side, so cheer up.

Indeed, and I'm only sad on behalf of my picks, this WC keeps delivering.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

FunkMonk

Quote from: Liep on June 22, 2014, 03:22:54 PM
Quote from: Norgy on June 22, 2014, 02:43:58 PM
Well, Algeria is France's B side, so cheer up.

Indeed, and I'm only sad on behalf of my picks, this WC keeps delivering.

Me too. I originally made my picks based on the conventional wisdom that World Cup matches are generally boring and defensive. I am very happy to see I was very wrong about that.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2014, 01:35:58 PM
Flip busts out his reverse psychology Phillipino witchcraft.

I think the accuracy of my predictive powers, evidenced by my astonishing 44.83% accuracy in the Languish pool, is not within any boundaries of doubt.  :contract:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on June 22, 2014, 02:07:26 PM
This will be an interesting one for the pool, if anything.
Duque seems to have forgotten about this game  :(

I was thinking of picking the result just before the game. Turns out the picnic was more lively and longer than expected. Don't think I would have put Algeria as winner though.

Norgy

Didn't really expect six goals in this game, I must admit.

alfred russel

I take this world cup as vindication of my idea from many years ago that the goals should be bigger. More goals = more excitement. :P :P :P :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Norgy

If I am not mistaken, you suggested goals the size of Canada.

alfred russel

Quote from: Norgy on June 22, 2014, 03:54:32 PM
If I am not mistaken, you suggested goals the size of Canada.

I was probably frustrated after watching back to back 0-0 draws.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

I will say though, that I think the bigger improvement in this world cup vs. others is that the officiating has been better. It seems like it used to be FIFA was always introducing a new point of emphasis right before the cup, which combined with sometimes dodgy officials, resulted in lots of iffy red cards and penalties.

FunkMonk

Prediction for USA's group:

1st place: Germany
2nd place: Ghana

Ghana will find a way to knock us out.  :cry:

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 22, 2014, 04:08:59 PM
Prediction for USA's group:

1st place: Germany
2nd place: Ghana

Ghana will find a way to knock us out.  :cry:

Good.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Norgy

Quote from: alfred russel on June 22, 2014, 04:00:02 PM
I will say though, that I think the bigger improvement in this world cup vs. others is that the officiating has been better. It seems like it used to be FIFA was always introducing a new point of emphasis right before the cup, which combined with sometimes dodgy officials, resulted in lots of iffy red cards and penalties.

We've had an iffy penalty on day one. It shouldn't have been given. But apart from that, the refereeing has been better than usual. Maybe their demands for bribes have gone up. The standards as to what's acceptable when it comes to holding, grabbing shirts and tackling from behind have all become more stringent, but footsoccerballfutbol will always be a physical contact sport. So I think some referees at times just give too many free kicks, as the rules for just faking it haven't become as stringent.
Compared to say the 1978, 1982 and the 1990 World Cups, this has been a fair one.

Josephus

Quote from: alfred russel on June 22, 2014, 04:00:02 PM

This. I said as much to my brother the other day. Previous world cups had FIFA issuing new rules for referees to enforce which normally meant refs dishing out cards like they were monopoly money. The refereeing has been above par this world cup so far...yes the odd missed penalty, but that's bound to happen. 5 stars for the refereeing.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011