And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 22, 2014, 04:24:52 PM
Debunked already
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/culture-lifestyle/140618/new-york-times-claims-usa-soccer-players-dont-flop-wrong

The author of this piece seems to be trying to refute the argument that  US players *never* flop, which the NYT writer did not make.  In fact he says Jozy Altidore is the best of a weak group.

Also not sure how video of Lebron James flopping (I didn't play it) and a mention of Jurgen Klinsman's flopping advance the case he's trying to make.

dps

Quote from: Norgy on June 22, 2014, 02:10:02 PM
Just read up a bit about the history of soccerball in the US. Looks like there were umpteen leagues concentrated in the north-east up until around 1930, when FIFA stepped in to fuck things up.

Yeah, professional soccer in the 1920s was at least as popular as the NFL (if perhaps a bit more regional).  But it wasn't just FIFA--the Great Depression played a role in killing off the pro soccoer leagues of the time.

Norgy

Quote from: dps on June 22, 2014, 04:40:52 PM
Quote from: Norgy on June 22, 2014, 02:10:02 PM
Just read up a bit about the history of soccerball in the US. Looks like there were umpteen leagues concentrated in the north-east up until around 1930, when FIFA stepped in to fuck things up.

Yeah, professional soccer in the 1920s was at least as popular as the NFL (if perhaps a bit more regional).  But it wasn't just FIFA--the Great Depression played a role in killing off the pro soccoer leagues of the time.

Yeah, I read that. Just when a settlement in the so-called "Soccer Wars" was reached, Wall Street crashes. Looks like American clubs were a bit cheeky with pinching players from Europe who were under contract too. The reason I looked it up, was a player born in Norway, Werner Nilsen, who played in the 1934 World Cup and apparently had quite the career. He was a machinist, male clothes model and footballer. Ended his footballing career in St. Louis after playing in Boston, Fall River and New York. Looking for new ideas for articles to sell, you know.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2014, 04:39:04 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 22, 2014, 04:24:52 PM
Debunked already
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/culture-lifestyle/140618/new-york-times-claims-usa-soccer-players-dont-flop-wrong

The author of this piece seems to be trying to refute the argument that  US players *never* flop, which the NYT writer did not make.  In fact he says Jozy Altidore is the best of a weak group.

Also not sure how video of Lebron James flopping (I didn't play it) and a mention of Jurgen Klinsman's flopping advance the case he's trying to make.

Americans don't flop according to Americans.

Quick sum-up
QuoteIf everyone in international competition and domestic leagues agreed, "there's too much diving, let's do something about it," that'd be great. Unfortunately, players, fans, countries, and leagues tend to point fingers at everyone but themselves. It's particularly unhelpful when fingerpointing gets mixed up with ideas (often stupid ideas) about national character, culture, or nature.

HVC

Who'd tamas pick in the us-Portugal game?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 22, 2014, 04:57:25 PM
Americans don't flop according to Americans.

Not any of the Americans who have posted or been linked here.

Norgy

Quote from: HVC on June 22, 2014, 04:58:29 PM
Who'd tamas pick in the us-Portugal game?

Most likely he picked Postiga up front.  :lol:

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Duque de Bragança

French commentator speaks of Jorge Jesus (Benfica coach) instead of Paulo Bento (Portuguese national team coach).
Brilliant as always. :)

Norgy

Some good defending there.

Norgy

Bradley should drop a bit deeper more often. Get some more space. He's that creative spark the US needs, while pushing up on the flanks.

Ronaldo as a captain? He's very good, but he's a spoilt child.

Tamas

FunkMonk

USA playing well with the obvious exception of that defensive miscue. I'm impressed.  :)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 22, 2014, 05:43:17 PM
USA playing well with the obvious exception of that defensive miscue. I'm impressed.  :)
they are playing very well.