News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spanish king abdicates

Started by Syt, June 02, 2014, 04:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on June 02, 2014, 08:33:18 AM
I'm a Republican myself, but given our monarchy is mostly ceremonial I don't give that much of a damn.

Juan Carlos did a great service to his country so in return his family gets to pretend to be King until they do something stupid enough to justify removing them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2014, 08:34:36 AM
I'm a Republican myself, but given our monarchy is mostly ceremonial I don't give that much of a damn.

Juan Carlos did a great service to his country so in return his family gets to pretend to be King until they do something stupid enough to justify removing them.

That's an accurate description of the situation.

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on June 02, 2014, 04:06:00 AM
Two European monarchs in just over a year. Prince Charles must be rubbing his hands together.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/queen-elizabeth-II/10584478/Betting-suspended-on-Queen-stepping-down.html

:lol:

Won't happen, the Queen is too much of a traditionalist.

Also I think, even if she were leaning towards abdication, she'd be determined to remain Queen if Scotland transitions to independence, so she could firmly restate and establish the fact she was Queen of Scots and there'd remain a united monarchy for the two countries.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Who else would be King of Scotland?  The Bavarian Pretender?  Unless the Scots are particularly Republican, I don't know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2014, 09:09:47 AM
Unless the Scots are particularly Republican, I don't know.

I'm guessing they are.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

Quote from: Viking on June 02, 2014, 08:12:19 AM
Harald of Norway is 77...

though I'm sure Martinus and his ilk will squee at the present Crown Prince

Is squee good or bad? As in sploosh or the opposite, which I guess is just nothing.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 02, 2014, 09:11:02 AM

I'm guessing they are.

I doubt it.  The fact the Royals would remain figure heads of Scotland seems to be a given assumption.

mongers

Who else would be King of Scotland?  The Bavarian Pretender?  Unless the Scots are particularly Republican, I don't know.

I think this is the key point:
there'd remain a united monarchy for the two countries.

possibly in stark contrast to Cameron's failure to keep the kingdom united.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2014, 09:12:55 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 02, 2014, 09:11:02 AM

I'm guessing they are.

I doubt it.  The fact the Royals would remain figure heads of Scotland seems to be a given assumption.

It works fine in canada, australia and new zealand

in fact the royals have been preparing for this for a long time
they haven't reall considered themselves to be any more english than anything else.

The Princess Royal Has been living at Holyrood palace for decades now.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

celedhring

We have a Stuart over here. They can have her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayetana_Fitz-James_Stuart,_18th_Duchess_of_Alba

Iormlund

It was bound to happen, the Spanish monarchy is at an all time low level of popularity with all the scandals surrounding it - and the general crisis in the country - plus he's in very bad health. So better pass it to somebody younger and more energetic that can rebuild the institution.

The Republican parties are already calling for a referendum before the Prince is sworn in, and there's a few demos in our cities. I'm a Republican myself, but given our monarchy is mostly ceremonial I don't give that much of a damn.

They've been very crafty, announcing it just before the World Cup.

Josquius

Quoteof Majorca,
Why does Majorca get its own king title? :blink:
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Will his son do a good job?  Is he a mediocre mind with little ambition besides empty state ceremony?  Is he boring enough not to embarrass the government?  Is he good looking enough in a bland way to lend glamor to the office?

Valmy

derspiess

I'm curious to know when we started calling it "Majorca".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall