And we're back!

Main Menu

Spanish king abdicates

Started by Syt, June 02, 2014, 04:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27662301

QuoteKing Juan Carlos of Spain abdicating

King Juan Carlos of Spain has decided to abdicate, Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has announced.

King Juan Carlos, who is 76, has ruled since 1975. His son Prince Felipe, 45, will take over the throne.

For much of his reign, Juan Carlos was seen as one of the world's most popular monarchs.

But recently many Spaniards have lost confidence in him, mainly because of a long-running corruption investigation into his daughter and her husband.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Viking

He's had a good innings. Kudos to him for bringing Democracy to Spain after Franco hoped he'd continue his (Franco's) legacy.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

The greatest king of the 20th century.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Brazen on June 02, 2014, 04:06:00 AM
Two European monarchs in just over a year. Prince Charles must be rubbing his hands together.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/queen-elizabeth-II/10584478/Betting-suspended-on-Queen-stepping-down.html

:lol:
3 actually:

Albert of (non-state) Belgium,
Beatrix of the (still not re-) United Kingdom of the Netherlands
and now Carlos.

Viking

Harald of Norway is 77...

though I'm sure Martinus and his ilk will squee at the present Crown Prince

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Zanza

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 02, 2014, 08:05:48 AM
Albert of (non-state) Belgium,
Beatrix of the (still not re-) United Kingdom of the Netherlands
and now Carlos.
If you want to refer to useless titles, Juan Carlos can easily outdo the other two. He has titles like King of Jerusalem or Two Sicilies, Archduke of Austria, Duke of Burgundy or King of the East and West Indies...

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Really?  Huh.  I thought when he became King of Spain they dumped all the artifact titles.  I mean...Duke of Milan?  Is Milan aware it has a Duke?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_titles_and_honours_of_Juan_Carlos_I_of_Spain

QuoteTitles in official use

The Spanish titles of Juan Carlos I as Monarch of Spain are as follows: Note: Titles in Pretence marked with * are historical titles which are only nominal and ceremonial.

King of Spain
    King of Castile, of León, of Aragon, of the Two Sicilies* (Naples and Sicily), of Jerusalem*, of Navarre, of Granada, of Toledo, of Valencia, of Galicia, of Majorca, of Seville, of Sardinia*, of Córdoba, of Corsica*, of Murcia, of Menorca, of Jaén, of the Algarves*, of Algeciras, of the Canary Islands, of the East Indies* and West Indies* and of the Islands and Mainland of the Ocean Sea*;
    Archduke of Austria*;
    Duke of Burgundy*, of Brabant*, of Milan*, of Athens*, of Neopatras* (New Patras) and of Limburg*;
    Count of Habsburg*, of Flanders*, of Tyrol*, of Roussillon* and of Barcelona;
    Lord of Biscay and of Molina

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on June 02, 2014, 08:27:47 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_titles_and_honours_of_Juan_Carlos_I_of_Spain

QuoteTitles in official use

The Spanish titles of Juan Carlos I as Monarch of Spain are as follows: Note: Titles in Pretence marked with * are historical titles which are only nominal and ceremonial.

King of Spain
    King of Castile, of León, of Aragon, of the Two Sicilies* (Naples and Sicily), of Jerusalem*, of Navarre, of Granada, of Toledo, of Valencia, of Galicia, of Majorca, of Seville, of Sardinia*, of Córdoba, of Corsica*, of Murcia, of Menorca, of Jaén, of the Algarves*, of Algeciras, of the Canary Islands, of the East Indies* and West Indies* and of the Islands and Mainland of the Ocean Sea*;
    Archduke of Austria*;
    Duke of Burgundy*, of Brabant*, of Milan*, of Athens*, of Neopatras* (New Patras) and of Limburg*;
    Count of Habsburg*, of Flanders*, of Tyrol*, of Roussillon* and of Barcelona;
    Lord of Biscay and of Molina

Man, all those unpressed claims...  :(

It was bound to happen, the Spanish monarchy is at an all time low level of popularity with all the scandals surrounding it - and the general crisis in the country - plus he's in very bad health. So better pass it to somebody younger and more energetic that can rebuild the institution.

The Republican parties are already calling for a referendum before the Prince is sworn in, and there's a few demos in our cities. I'm a Republican myself, but given our monarchy is mostly ceremonial I don't give that much of a damn.

Valmy

Are the Habsburg pretenders aware this Bourbon is claiming to be Archduke of Austria in pretense?  There can only be one wannabe Archduke!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."