News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spanish king abdicates

Started by Syt, June 02, 2014, 04:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 02, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
I'm curious to know when we started calling it "Majorca".

Mallorca.  Whatever.  Probably how during the Olympics some dudes decided Turin was crap and we all needed to start calling it Torino.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2014, 10:16:06 AM

Mallorca.  Whatever.  Probably how during the Olympics some dudes decided Turin was crap and we all needed to start calling it Torino.

I didn't direct that at you.  I just always knew it as "Mallorca" and "Majorca" looks and sounds silly to me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Iormlund

Quote from: Tyr on June 02, 2014, 10:04:58 AM
Quoteof Majorca,
Why does Majorca get its own king title? :blink:

James I the Conqueror set it up for one of his sons in his will. After proving to be a royal pain in the ass for the Aragonese rulers, it was invaded and reabsorbed by the Crown.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 02, 2014, 10:19:26 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2014, 10:16:06 AM

I didn't direct that at you.  I just always knew it as "Mallorca" and "Majorca" looks and sounds silly to me.

I was not being defensive about it, just commenting on the question.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2014, 10:22:19 AM

I was not being defensive about it, just commenting on the question.
[/quote]

Settle down guys. Enough with the acrimony already.

Valmy

Spicey needs to be made aware he has just made an enemy for life.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2014, 10:07:56 AM
Will his son do a good job?  Is he a mediocre mind with little ambition besides empty state ceremony?  Is he boring enough not to embarrass the government?  Is he good looking enough in a bland way to lend glamor to the office?

He's certainly bland and uncontroversial, so I can't see him rocking the boat at all. He also lacks his father's leftover good will from 23 F and his folksy charm, so he has that against him.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on June 02, 2014, 10:33:12 AM
He's certainly bland and uncontroversial, so I can't see him rocking the boat at all.

Seems well qualified then :hmm:

QuoteHe also lacks his father's leftover good will from 23 F and his folksy charm, so he has that against him.

Well it is hard for Aristocrats to have folksy charm and certainly no future King of Spain will have the sort of good will Juan Carlos did.  I mean unless it is discovered Kings really can cure Scrofula with their touch.

The Larch

Juan Carlos did have a kind of old fashioned folkie charm (campechanía), which made him palatable even for republicans. Then came the elephant hunts and the scandals and that charm didn't help him there.

The Brain

What kind of bizarre scandal could possibly involve an elephant hunt?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on June 02, 2014, 10:39:45 AM
Juan Carlos did have a kind of old fashioned folkie charm (campechanía), which made him palatable even for republicans. Then came the elephant hunts and the scandals and that charm didn't help him there.

If aristocrats can no longer hunt what would they do with their time?  I guess play polo or tennis or race cars.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on June 02, 2014, 10:42:01 AM
What kind of bizarre scandal could possibly involve an elephant hunt?

:lol:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Viking on June 02, 2014, 09:30:40 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2014, 09:12:55 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 02, 2014, 09:11:02 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2014, 09:09:47 AM
Unless the Scots are particularly Republican, I don't know.

I'm guessing they are.

I doubt it.  The fact the Royals would remain figure heads of Scotland seems to be a given assumption.

It works fine in canada, australia and new zealand

in fact the royals have been preparing for this for a long time
they haven't reall considered themselves to be any more english than anything else.

The Princess Royal Has been living at Holyrood palace for decades now.

Don't tell that to Viper.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2014, 10:43:53 AM
Quote from: The Larch on June 02, 2014, 10:39:45 AM

If aristocrats can no longer hunt what would they do with their time?  I guess play polo or tennis or race cars.

It was well known that he hunted, and there had been previous controversies about this a few years ago (apparently he once hunted a bear in Russia that had been drugged for him so he'd be able to get his shot), but this one crossed the line for the Spanish public. For years it had ignored plenty of peccadilloes (mistresses, friendships with shady businessmen, and so on), and there was a pact of silence in Spanish media about this, but big game hunting almost straight out of XIXth century stories crossed the line. And we only found out because he slipped and broke his hip during the trip, if he hadn't we would never have heard about it.

MadImmortalMan

You can ignore all that other stuff, but shoot a bear and there's hell to pay?   :lol:

Sounds like CdM's kind of country.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers