News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elections!

Started by Sheilbh, May 22, 2014, 03:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I don't see that with Mogg. This is him as a 10 year old:

He's married an heiress (the daughter of Somerset Struben de Chair) and he has a nanny for his children.

I think he's a hard-core Brideshead Catholic conservative, who behaves and dresses and speaks like a hard-core Brideshead Catholic conservative.

Edit: He sent his first letter to the FT aged 12 for God's sake :lol:

Edit: Also UKIP have won all five seats in Rotherham that have reported, which was one of their targets.

Edit: Incidentally Jeremy Vine looking at wards so far, mostly in Labour areas - Labour 40% (-), UKIP 28% (+27), Tories 21%(-8), Lib Dems 8% (-15). On last local elections Labour are down 14%, UKIP's up 20%, Tories and Lib Dems down 3%. I think it is possible UKIP could become the anti-Labour party in the North.

For example Labour's apparently lost Hartlepool. The Tories have lost two Essex councils because of UKIP and Labour will keep Rotherham (they've had it for 80 years) but there'll be a proper opposition now. So far 9 Labour councillors, 8 UKIP (5-6 won from Labour - including the Leader and Deputy Leader of the council :blink:).
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 22, 2014, 03:56:24 PM
According to the Bagehot it'll be a good night for Labour and UKIP if they win 300 and 150 councillors respectively and for the Lib Dems and Tories if they lose fewer than 200 and 150. The Greens are also hoping for a breakthrough.
We've had about 1/8 of the total seats in, so it's still very early. But so far Labour have gained 14, the Tories have lost 64, the Lib Dems have lost 21. UKIP have gained 68 - which is more councillors than they had about 5 years ago.

Alarmingly for Labour in addition to the rest of the trouble in Rotherham, apparently UKIP won the popular vote in Rotherham. There's a new Labour MP there after the previous one resigned in 2012 after being convicted over expenses. It's definitely a major target for them in 2015.

Edit: Yep. Popular vote in Rotherham:
UKIP: 30,084 (44.3%)
Labour: 27,793 (40.9%)
Conservative: 6,482 (9.5%)
Other: 3,611 :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: Agelastus on May 22, 2014, 07:20:01 PM
By the way Sheilbh, did you see Jacob Rees-Mogg's performance on Have I Got News For You? I thought it was quite good, even if he did seem to come over as almost a caricature of the urbane aristocrat.

It was pretty good.  :yes:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 22, 2014, 06:54:57 PM

Part of that's surely a function of the system though. The UK's got first past the post, I think the French system favours big parties too. But these nutty parties are present in national parliaments in, for example, the Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Austria, Greece, Ireland etc.

It's true, except for European elections, where it's full proportional representation.
I'll vote twice, Portugal is not far away, while in Paris that is (2 metro stations to the Consulate) and of course in the election that the FN is poised to win.

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 22, 2014, 06:54:57 PM
Part of that's surely a function of the system though. The UK's got first past the post, I think the French system favours big parties too. But these nutty parties are present in national parliaments in, for example, the Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Austria, Greece, Ireland etc.

For the Netherlands, it's part of a long-established system, rooted in religious affiliation.
Traditionally, every tiny religious splinter group had its own newspaper, radio station, school, union, and political party.
Most of these have disappeared, only the political fracturing remains, even though it's no longer based on religious grounds.

Siege

Fuck shelf.
I'm still crying about Bailout Bevin losing to Mitch Macullun,
Fuck Kentucky.
How the fuck can you vote for a big government republican when you know that big government is the problem?
Fuck Kentucky.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Maladict

Siege

Siege

I say again , FUCK KENTUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111111

Siege

You have to be a fucking retarf to vote for big gov and high txes.
You know is the fucking end

Viking

Quote from: Siege on May 23, 2014, 03:22:17 AM
You have to be a fucking retarf to vote for big gov and high txes.
You know is the fucking end

Well given a choice between "big government advocate who is sane" and "small government advocate who is insane" I'm not surprised people prioritized the sanity issue over the government issue.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on May 23, 2014, 03:21:19 AM
I say again , FUCK KENTUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111111

Ok.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

It is such a farce to have radically anti-EU parties run on EU elections. Can the people be (successfully) taken for bigger fools than that? Some aholes spit out popular negative BS and with that they grab the golden egg laid by the very thing they are spitting on. It is a disgrace.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2014, 04:08:44 AM
It is such a farce to have radically anti-EU parties run on EU elections.

Like anti-communist parties running in elections in communist states.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?