News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

News from Iran? Good? Bad? Who knows?

Started by Faeelin, June 08, 2009, 10:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Given the magnitude of the fraud I think is merely a gesture meant to placate the mob, it won't change anything.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31380861/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa/

QuoteTEHRAN, Iran - Iran's powerful Guardian Council is ready to recount specific ballot boxes in last week's disputed presidential elections, a council spokesman said Tuesday, another twist in an election that has touched off widespread protests.

State television quoted Abbas Ali Kadkhodaei as saying that the recount would be limited to voting sites where candidates claim irregularities took place. It was not clear which or how many voting sites would be affected.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

This reminds me a LOT of the Bonus Army
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Hansmeister

Obamateur strikes again!

"My understanding is, is that the Iranian government says that they are going to look into irregularities that have taken place. We weren't on the ground, we did not have observers there, we did not have international observers on hand, so I can't state definitively one way or another what happened with respect to the election.

But what I can say is that there appears to be a sense on the part of people who were so hopeful and so engaged and so committed to democracy who now feel betrayed. And I think it's important that, moving forward, whatever investigations take place are done in a way that is not resulting in bloodshed and is not resulting in people being stifled in expressing their views."

Pretty fucking pathetic.

KRonn

Interesting take on things. I still feel that the government hard liners have the upper hand, but I'm finding it hard to say how this will go now, given that the protests are so huge and people are so frustrated with the situation over and above election results.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31381129/ns/world_news-the_new_york_times/

Fissures emerge in Khamenei's hold on power
Iran's iron cleric unlikely to be at risk, but election furor causes him to blink

Tamas

So I understand today could end up pretty nasty, with both groups announcing a demonstration to basically the same place? Well, the opposition guy cancelled it because of this, but it seems his people are gathering anyway.

Valmy

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 16, 2009, 06:47:46 AM
Pretty fucking pathetic.

Sounds pretty good to me.  You do not want it to sound like the protests are somehow a US backed thing or that may undermine them.

What should he have said?  Personally I think it would have been better if he said nothing at all about it but this seems pretty harmless.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Yes, Ahmaninjajihad and his people must be very eager to associate the protesters with the Great Satan and the Joos. So Israel and USA should just STFU on the whole issue.

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2009, 07:47:00 AM
Sounds pretty good to me.  You do not want it to sound like the protests are somehow a US backed thing or that may undermine them.

What should he have said?  Personally I think it would have been better if he said nothing at all about it but this seems pretty harmless.
:yes:

Less talk more action.

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2009, 07:47:00 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on June 16, 2009, 06:47:46 AM
Pretty fucking pathetic.

That's my take on things too. When ever, in the past, the US is seen as taking the protester's sides then the opposition always tries to call attention to it to undermine protests or opposition. In this case though, I'm beginning to think that may not matter.
I think this is much bigger than the hard liners trying to blame the West to gain anything. In fact, right now, I'd think that would be seen as pathetic and futile grasping at straws by the regime.

Other nations have been more forceful in their words but again, for now, I still think the US is in a different position so that's why the Obama admin is reacting to events more quietly.

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on June 15, 2009, 11:29:46 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 15, 2009, 11:18:38 PM
It's true. It would have been better if I'd posted another picture of a bloodied protester for us all to stare at from the comfort of our own homes.
I'd be surprised if there were a lot of people on this board who know me that think that I wouldn't be protesting in Iran if I could be.
I think all of us here realize that you're the sort of person who identifies with and idealizes other cultures.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Tamas on June 16, 2009, 07:49:13 AM
Yes, Ahmaninjajihad and his people must be very eager to associate the protesters with the Great Satan and the Joos. So Israel and USA should just STFU on the whole issue.
Given that both the government and the opposition are steadfast in their undying enmity for both the US and Israel, what difference does it make?  Better the devil we know than a new, far more extremist devil.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on June 16, 2009, 08:06:48 AM
Given that both the government and the opposition are steadfast in their undying enmity for both the US and Israel, what difference does it make?  Better the devil we know than a new, far more extremist devil.

It makes a difference because they are at each other's throats and it serves our interests that they fight amongst themselves.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2009, 08:07:53 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 16, 2009, 08:06:48 AM

It makes a difference because they are at each other's throats and it serves our interests that they fight amongst themselves.
They'll do that now no matter what.  Violence is going to ensue.  A lot of our enemies are going to get busted up.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on June 16, 2009, 08:09:29 AM
They'll do that now no matter what.  Violence is going to ensue.  A lot of our enemies are going to get busted up.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.  I don't want Obama to say anything to distract them from the important business of shooting each other.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2009, 08:13:02 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 16, 2009, 08:09:29 AM

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.  I don't want Obama to say anything to distract them from the important business of shooting each other.
Let's not forget that Obama is also our enemy.