And we're back!

Main Menu

Senate GOP seizes control in political coup

Started by Strix, June 08, 2009, 07:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strix

Quote from: R NewsSenate GOP seizes control in political coup

By: Josh Robin

ALBANY, N.Y. -- With the help of two rogue Democrats, a group of state Republicans have seized control of the New York State Senate. Leadership in Albany has been thrown into question as a result.

Republicans in the State Senate say they have seized power from State Senate Majority leader Malcolm Smith, a Democrat, and installed a bipartisan majority.

Within an hour of the defection of Pedro Espada Jr. of the Bronx and Hiram Monserrate of Queens, Republicans anointed Dean Skelos of Long Island as the new Majority Leader, and Espada as President Pro Temp.

Senate GOP seizes control in political coup
With the help of two rogue Democrats, a group of state Republicans have seized control of the New York State Senate. Leadership in Albany has been thrown into question as a result. Erin Billups has more from the Capitol.

Senate power fight
Republicans claim they are poised to take over control of the State Senate, in a move that left Democrats stunned this afternoon. Just before 4 p.m., the GOP called for a vote on new leadership. Capital Tonight host Brian Taffe breaks down what happened.

In a released statement, Monserrate said, "I am a life-long Democrat and remain a loyal Democrat. After today's proceedings, I am proud to form a bipartisan coalition that has elected the first Latino President Pro Tem of the New York State Senate, my colleague, the Honorable Pedro Espada Jr. We look forward to conferencing with fellow Democrats to ensure that real reforms become a reality in the State of New York."

Following the news, the Democrats walked out of the Senate Chamber and the power and television feed were cut.

In a statement, a spokesman for Senator Malcolm Smith said, "This was an illegal and unlawful attempt to gain control of the Senate and reverse the will of the people who voted for a Democratic Majority. Nothing has changed, Senator Malcolm A. Smith remains the duly elected Temporary President and Majority Leader. The real Senate Majority is anxious to get back to governing, and will take immediate steps to get us back to work."

Senate Republican leader Dean Skelos has also released a statement saying, "A new bipartisan coalition elected today, has delivered on the promises for reform that the Senate Democrat leadership failed to keep. The new rules adopted today will create a more open, bipartisan, transparent and member-driven body that will take dramatic new steps to end Albany dysfunction."

Ok, so it's not THAT Senate but still exciting to see. It will be interesting if this results in real bi-partisanship once the dust clears. If it's even legal.

What they don't mention is that the cable feed was cut because punches were starting to get thrown.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Fireblade

lol, that's funny.

Coups are always awesome. :D

Barrister

I suspect that this will backfire on the GOP.

So these rogue democrats aren't changing parties?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

So not really, because it's only a State Senate.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on June 08, 2009, 07:58:32 PM
So not really, because it's only a State Senate.

Albany's always been a pretty constant source of amusement. I should call my dad about this; he lives about 5 minutes away from the state building- it would be interesting to see what kind of ruckus is taking place up there. :D
Experience bij!

Berkut

:lmfao: It's like our little Banana Republic!

Of course, the state of New York is larger, richer, and has a higher GDP than any banana republic probably, but still...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Faeelin

Does anyone have any idea why they did this?

DGuller

I think Patterson should order the National Guard to the Senate, so that they could restore democracy.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Faeelin on June 08, 2009, 08:52:19 PM
If they have the votes, why wouldn't they do that?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Faeelin

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 08, 2009, 09:06:50 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on June 08, 2009, 08:52:19 PM
If they have the votes, why wouldn't they do that?

Tim, I was asking why they switched their support.

Neil

Quote from: Strix on June 08, 2009, 07:18:52 PM
In a statement, a spokesman for Senator Malcolm Smith said, "This was an illegal and unlawful attempt to gain control of the Senate and reverse the will of the people who voted for a Democratic Majority.
:lol:

It's not particularily surprising that the sorts of ignorant clods who become state Senators don't really understand how democracy works.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Faeelin on June 08, 2009, 09:20:13 PM

Tim, I was asking why they switched their support.

Mr. Espada presumably wanted to be the PPT. Dunno about the other guy.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

How is this different than when the republicans had a senate majority (50-50 w/ Cheney being the tiebreaker) a few years ago and Jim Jeffords switched parties throwing it to the democrats?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on June 08, 2009, 09:25:04 PM
How is this different than when the republicans had a senate majority (50-50 w/ Cheney being the tiebreaker) a few years ago and Jim Jeffords switched parties throwing it to the democrats?

The difference is that these guys didn't switch parties.

This does seem banana-republicish.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on June 08, 2009, 09:30:21 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 08, 2009, 09:25:04 PM

The difference is that these guys didn't switch parties.

This does seem banana-republicish.

Meh, here in Alaska the itty bitty senate of 20 some folks has been a led by bloc of the 8 Dems and 4-5 more moderate GOP over the rest of the Republicans for last few years.

edit, sorry now it's 10 Dems and 5 or 6 gop making up majority after last elections.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son