Senate GOP seizes control in political coup

Started by Strix, June 08, 2009, 07:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

I don't know guys, but I think Massachusetts has you guys beat. The last three of our House Speakers have either been indicted or convicted of crimes, or of ethics charges. Though I'm not about to say that what you have going on in NY is anything better!   :huh:

Now if only the Red Sox can beat the Yankees this year!

Strix

Quote from: BerkutBut I don't ahve a bias against unions, just grossly politicized unions that are a parasite on the state. Like yours.

It's clear that you do have a bias. Do you even know what Union I belong to? Can you name some Unions that you don't find objectionable?

Quote from: BerkutI guess this basic econmic stuff might be "mystical" if in fact you lack understanding of the principles. Everything seems magic to the ignorant.

But I think I already stated what I think it should be - it should be determined the same way pay is determined for everyone else - via the free market.

What reason do you have to claim that the free market in this case will fail and result in some kind of problem (beyond you not getting double the salary and benefits the union has gotten you by avoiding the free market) that only a union can fix?

Do you think of basic economics as "mystical"? I wonder because you're the only one referring to it in those terms. I pointed out that theory doesn't always work in practice. Nothing mystical about that concept.

I already pointed out in a previous thread discussing this that the free market in this case has failed and that NC was a prime example. You ignored that discussion because your bias against Unions prevented you from considering anything being discussed. Your only answer was that Unions=Non Free Market and your only attempt at evidence was vacancy/turnover rates which is not evidence because there are many factors which are related to them in relation to the job being discussed that have nothing to do with the free market.

Quote from: BerkutNot true at all, every job I have ever had has MUCH higher turnover than public jobs in the state of New York, and the stats (as ahve been pointed out several times) bear this out.

People leave my company all the time, not unusual at all to see people leave for better opportunities.

Do you even know the turnover/vacancy rate for public jobs in NY? Can you provide evidence to this fact of yours? And since we have no idea where you have worked or where you work now that statement is meaningless. You could be a short order cook at Charlie Brown's for all we know.

Quote from: BerkutWhat standards are those? Certainly it is the case that public secotr unions are rather different from private sector.

That's what I was asking you. Please answer the question. What standards do you apply and are they different?

Quote from: BerkutAnd you say *I* dismiss things that don't fit into my "closed mind"? :lmfao:

You would be as anti-union as I am - probably more so - if you were not sucking at the liberal dem government teat, and you know it.

I cannot control the government I work for beyond my single vote. I also cannot control the fact that my profession doesn't exist in the private sector. Therefore I have no choice but to work for either Federal or State government. I cannot control that NY is a union state that requires you pay union dues regardless of how you feel. So, I am unclear how having all these factors outside my control equates to sucking at the teat.

Than again, perhaps you're advocating that all criminals should be let free from prisons and supervision because no one is really bad they are just misunderstood, and letting them go won't hurt society. I am confused as to what you think will happen if the prisons and parole jobs are eliminated.

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Berkut

Shit, Strix just destroyed my argument by pointing out that I want to free criminals. Damn, I just cannot compete with that guy!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Faeelin

Okay, one more story which, if it turns out to be true, would be fucking awesome on so many levels.

http://www.cityhallnews.com/news/132/ARTICLE/1972/2009-06-09.html#

MadImmortalMan

This is one hell of a news week. We have an old nazi asshat committing suicide by cop in the holocaust museum, some old granny getting tasered after daring the cop to do it, a guy in India cooks himself off on a train cable and now a Republican conspiracy to allow gays to marry.  :huh:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Faeelin

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 10, 2009, 05:32:05 PM
This is one hell of a news week. We have an old nazi asshat committing suicide by cop in the holocaust museum, some old granny getting tasered after daring the cop to do it, a guy in India cooks himself off on a train cable and now a Republican conspiracy to allow gays to marry.  :huh:

Being cold blooded, it makes perfect sense. The strongest opponents of gay marriage in NY aren't people who are gonna be voting Republican anytime soon.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Strix

Quote from: Berkut on June 10, 2009, 01:25:30 PM
Shit, Strix just destroyed my argument by pointing out that I want to free criminals. Damn, I just cannot compete with that guy!

I think it was more your inability to give actual evidence and answer questions.  :lol:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

I guess some courts are not yet above the purse strings of the GOP.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Strix

Quote from: Jaron on June 11, 2009, 02:56:39 PM
I guess some courts are not yet above the purse strings of the GOP.

Golisano has a very Dooney & Bourke!