What the Fuck is Going On with Perceptions of Racism by the Left These Days?

Started by Queequeg, May 06, 2014, 11:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Upon reflection I've realized that my Appalachian Privilege is actually a disadvantage.  The city of Cincinnati actually considers 'Appalachian' a protected minority :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2014, 03:58:10 PM
Upon reflection I've realized that my Appalachian Privilege is actually a disadvantage.  The city of Cincinnati actually considers 'Appalachian' a protected minority :lol:

On the plus side, "Appalachian Privilege" would make a great hillbilly band name.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 02:49:12 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2014, 02:46:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 01:26:30 PM
You said you weren't really sure you could buy that he was a racist despite the fact he kept showing up to Aryan Nation rallies.  I found that amusing.

Is that the same thing as being okay with him?  I've never been okay with him. 

Anyway, my impression was that he attended a couple of their meetings to make contacts with them since they more or less faced a common "enemy".  Extremist types do this a lot-- this does not necessarily mean a full endorsement of each other's views or agenda.  It's obviously bad enough that he didn't have any qualms about attending the meetings. 

Randy Weaver may well be a racist-- I don't know and really don't care.  He's sufficiently weird and marginalized to where it really doesn't make much difference to me.

You should be reveling in this thread, everyone's coming down on me for not being progressive here.

Climb down off your cross.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2014, 03:16:01 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 02:46:11 PM
How would you, distinguish between a person who is transgendered and someone who simply has a delusion they are of a different gender?

I think the premise of this question is flawed.  Why would there be any need to make such a judgment unless of course one started from the proposition that there is something wrong with being transgendered.

Because people are treated differently if they are delusional.  If someone were tell you that he was the Son of God, it's going to elicit laughter and pity.  If a man were tell you he was a women a lot of people are going to accept that and even call them brave for coming out for who they really are.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Raz, you realize there's a difference between a delusion and gender dysmorphia, right?  Someone who believes they are a woman is not under the impression they actually have a vagina, XX chromosomes, or tits.  I imagine they're rather acutely aware of the fact.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 05:57:40 PM
How would you, distinguish between a person who is transgendered and someone who simply has a delusion they are of a different gender?

I think the premise of this question is flawed.  Why would there be any need to make such a judgment unless of course one started from the proposition that there is something wrong with being transgendered.

Because people are treated differently if they are delusional.  If someone were tell you that he was the Son of God, it's going to elicit laughter and pity.  If a man were tell you he was a women a lot of people are going to accept that and even call them brave for coming out for who they really are.

Correct.  The first person is delusional.  The second person is not.

DGuller

One reason there may be a need is the fact that being transgendered is a condition that requires extensive medical treatment to cure.  I would guess that it would not be ethical to treat a person with such an invasive therapy if they didn't truly suffer from the condition that warrants it.

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2014, 06:17:47 PM
So how does that disprove a delusion?

A delusion is a mistake of fact that is impervious to evidence.  For example, you are apparently under the delusion that you read and write English.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on May 07, 2014, 06:25:26 PM

One reason there may be a need is the fact that being transgendered is a condition that requires extensive medical treatment to cure.  I would guess that it would not be ethical to treat a person with such an invasive therapy if they didn't truly suffer from the condition that warrants it.

Cure?

Jacob

This sounds a lot like you're saying that transgendered people are in fact not transgendered, but rather delusional.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on May 07, 2014, 06:35:07 PM

This sounds a lot like you're saying that transgendered people are in fact not transgendered, but rather delusional.

And if they are are?  Does that change the way you think of them?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2014, 06:24:13 PM

Correct.  The first person is delusional.  The second person is not.

Why would you make this assumption?

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on May 07, 2014, 06:25:26 PMOne reason there may be a need is the fact that being transgendered is a condition that requires extensive medical treatment to cure.  I would guess that it would not be ethical to treat a person with such an invasive therapy if they didn't truly suffer from the condition that warrants it.

Are you speaking of gender reassignment surgery, hormone therapy, etc? Because I don't believe that's considered "a cure". In fact, using that term sounds similar to how "a cure for homosexuality" would sound.

As I understand it, it's a fairly lengthy process to embark on gender reassignment surgery etc, involving a whole bunch of psychological assessments and therapy before any physical or pharmaceutical steps are taken.