What the Fuck is Going On with Perceptions of Racism by the Left These Days?

Started by Queequeg, May 06, 2014, 11:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I am saying a person who believes they are something that they are physically aren't, is similar to a person who believes they are something they physically aren't.  Would you deny someone who believe the are a dog, is a dog?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 02:21:30 PM
I am saying a person who believes they are something that they are physically aren't, is similar to a person who believes they are something they physically aren't.  Would you deny someone who believe the are a dog, is a dog?

Maybe they are physically a female in some way?  Maybe it is in the brain structure or something?  I honestly do not know.  Again not my business.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Raz, if you have any transgendered friends or associates you should be aware that that line of reasoning and argument is likely to be seen as demeaning. This may matter to you if you value those relationships.

I have no interest in being the spokesperson for transgender issues here on languish (or elsewhere, for that matter) nor in having this particular debate with you. But I will say that transgendered people, the medical establishment, as well as the general consensus amongst the progressive side of the political spectrum (and possibly outside of it as well) is that there are considerable differences between being transgendered or otherwise fluid on the gender spectrum and thinking you are a dog.

If you are interested in finding out why that is I recommend you look around a bit. It's not that difficult to find resources; you can probably even find people who'll explain it to you in a way that makes sense to you if you don't approach them in a demeaning fashion.

On the other hand, if you are just looking for an internet-standard point and counterpoint argument then, like I said, I'm not interested.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2014, 02:01:07 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 01:59:16 PM
What if she switches back?  Is he then a man who had gender dysmorphia and now is a man again?  Or what about someone in mid-transition?

However they want to be addressed.  Not my business to make decisions like that.

Yeah I agree with this and what Ide said. Even if I might still have questions around the phenomena*, it doesn't cost me to refer to someone how they like to be referred.

*As someone who insists they are really male but in a woman's body is counter to my view of the world that gender is sort of arbitrary/mutable and genders are fixed things that one can know to which one fundamentally belongs. If I check that I'm a male on a form it is really more so that I am recognizing a societal label and that I may have some of the behaviors/traits that society associates with men - but not so much that I feel like a male. I'm not even totally sure what it means to feel like a particular gender.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grinning_Colossus

I'm not sure it's quite as clear-cut as that, Raz. Even ignoring the confusion caused by socialization and gender roles, many people experiencing gender dysphoria seem to have neurological structures that are more similar to those found in the opposite biological sex. For some people gender isn't an integral part of identity (if I woke up as a woman tomorrow I imagine I'd be cool just being a lesbian), but for some it is, and I can't really make judgments on something so personal that I haven't experienced, so I think we might as well just acknowledge them as what they want to be.

In a perfect world we'd all be able to switch our sex back and forth at will anyway.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on May 07, 2014, 02:35:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2014, 02:01:07 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 01:59:16 PM
What if she switches back?  Is he then a man who had gender dysmorphia and now is a man again?  Or what about someone in mid-transition?

However they want to be addressed.  Not my business to make decisions like that.

Yeah I agree with this and what Ide said. Even if I might still have questions around the phenomena*, it doesn't cost me to refer to someone how they like to be referred.

*As someone who insists they are really male but in a woman's body is counter to my view of the world that gender is sort of arbitrary/mutable and genders are fixed things that one can know to which one fundamentally belongs. If I check that I'm a male on a form it is really more so that I am recognizing a societal label and that I may have some of the behaviors/traits that society associates with men - but not so much that I feel like a male. I'm not even totally sure what it means to feel like a particular gender.

Awful.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

It is like what Howard Cosell said when Cassius Clay changed his name to Muhammad Ali: a person has a right to decide how they are addressed.

Presumably that only applies to sincerely held beliefs - if you are being trolled, someone wants to be addressed as "God" or something, there is no reason to go along with it. The issue then turns on whether you think people who believe they are transgendered are trolling. I see no particular reason to believe that, so I feel it is right to extend them the courtesy of referring to them as they would prefer.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Jake, what I know of the mental health establishment is that is quite a bit of debate on the issue (this isn't out of the ordinary, since there is disagreement on even basic things in mental health), and the DSM IV lists these as mental disorder (I don't know about the DSM V).  I brought up the dog thing from personal experience.  I would like to ask you one last question though, which I believe is at the heart of what I'm getting at.  How would you, distinguish between a person who is transgendered and someone who simply has a delusion they are of a different gender?

Anyone can answer this last question. BTW.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 01:26:30 PM
You said you weren't really sure you could buy that he was a racist despite the fact he kept showing up to Aryan Nation rallies.  I found that amusing.

Is that the same thing as being okay with him?  I've never been okay with him. 

Anyway, my impression was that he attended a couple of their meetings to make contacts with them since they more or less faced a common "enemy".  Extremist types do this a lot-- this does not necessarily mean a full endorsement of each other's views or agenda.  It's obviously bad enough that he didn't have any qualms about attending the meetings. 

Randy Weaver may well be a racist-- I don't know and really don't care.  He's sufficiently weird and marginalized to where it really doesn't make much difference to me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2014, 02:46:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 01:26:30 PM
You said you weren't really sure you could buy that he was a racist despite the fact he kept showing up to Aryan Nation rallies.  I found that amusing.

Is that the same thing as being okay with him?  I've never been okay with him. 

Anyway, my impression was that he attended a couple of their meetings to make contacts with them since they more or less faced a common "enemy".  Extremist types do this a lot-- this does not necessarily mean a full endorsement of each other's views or agenda.  It's obviously bad enough that he didn't have any qualms about attending the meetings. 

Randy Weaver may well be a racist-- I don't know and really don't care.  He's sufficiently weird and marginalized to where it really doesn't make much difference to me.

You should be reveling in this thread, everyone's coming down on me for not being progressive here.

Valmy

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on May 07, 2014, 02:38:10 PM
In a perfect world we'd all be able to switch our sex back and forth at will anyway.

We are sort of born with our physical sex, so I presume you mean gender?  Or are we looking forward to a future where we can hop from one body to the next?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2014, 02:54:24 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on May 07, 2014, 02:38:10 PM

We are sort of born with our physical sex, so I presume you mean gender?  Or are we looking forward to a future where we can hop from one body to the next?

I have a few way-stations on that journey in mind for myself ...  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grinning_Colossus

The latter -- Ian M. Banks-style body craziness. Gotta aim high.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 02:46:11 PM
Jake, what I know of the mental health establishment is that is quite a bit of debate on the issue (this isn't out of the ordinary, since there is disagreement on even basic things in mental health), and the DSM IV lists these as mental disorder (I don't know about the DSM V).  I brought up the dog thing from personal experience.  I would like to ask you one last question though, which I believe is at the heart of what I'm getting at.  How would you, distinguish between a person who is transgendered and someone who simply has a delusion they are of a different gender?

Anyone can answer this last question. BTW.

I guess my answer is that, in terms of answering how they should be addressed, I wouldn't. If they sincerely believe themselves transgendered, it is really unimportant to me whether they are right or suffering from a delusion.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 02:49:12 PM
You should be reveling in this thread, everyone's coming down on me for not being progressive here.

Nah, I'm kind of with you on it.  I think Ide was being hypersensitive for jumping your shit for the "he/she" thing, especially since Buddha once identified as a "he" and then later as a "she".

Out of politeness I'd call Buddha a she now since that's what she prefers, but on a high level I'm also skeptical on feeding someone's gender delusions.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall