News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Eurovision 2014

Started by Liep, May 06, 2014, 01:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Australia doesn't have neighbors.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 10, 2014, 08:25:00 AM
ABBA? :blink:

ABBA, Gypsy Kings, Ca Plane Pour Moi, 99 Luftballon, Take On Me, there are exceptions to the rule.  But the fact remains that compared to population, Europe outside of the UK is a pop music desert.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2014, 10:44:49 AM

ABBA, Gypsy Kings, Ca Plane Pour Moi, 99 Luftballon, Take On Me, there are exceptions to the rule.  But the fact remains that compared to population, Europe outside of the UK is a pop music desert.

Sweden is a solid pop country. ABBA, Roxette, Cardigans, Ace of Base etc. And Max Martin has had like 17 US number ones in recent years.

Eddie Teach

You left out Sweden's greatest band, Shitgoat.

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 10, 2014, 11:18:39 AM
You left out Sweden's greatest band, Shitgoat.

That's poop, not pop.

Valmy

Do we know this for sure?  I mean generally the US does not like music in foreign languages that much. 

I mean the only Korean song I have ever heard is Gangnam Style but supposedly they have a ton of pop music.  None of it might be good granted but how would I know?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Korea produces a lot of stuff like the Spice Girls and the Backstreet Boys.  :yuk:

Liep

I think you're neglecting the national music scene in each country. Most of the time a Danish act is topping the pop charts here, they'll likely never be more than known in Denmark (exceptions, of course: Volbeat, Aqua) or if they strike big, Germany.

Doesn't mean it's not quality pop, it's just not suited for America.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on May 10, 2014, 11:35:28 AMDo we know this for sure?  I mean generally the US does not like music in foreign languages that much. 
Yep. Language difference matters. Also Europeans are far more into electronic music than Americans. Daft Punk's probably another who count as chart-topping Euro-pop, similarly Giorgio Moroder made the sound of huge amounts of disco - just about every Donna Summers song for example.

Chances are given how big hip hop is in the US and how much electronic music's sampled in that that Americans are listening to more European artists than ever they just don't know it.

Anyway I'm not entirely sure 'pop' exists anymore, I think our culture's so fragmented and individual that it's tough to talk of one pop music. Maybe you'll get the odd global boyband like One Direction but everyone's got their own niche now. J-pop and K-pop may not have cracked America totally, but there are probably millions of fans in the US who are geekily into that genre. So little odd sub-cultures like Northern Soul are now the norm.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

There are also lots of acts that rarely leave their home countries, for instance German speaking bands which are rarely known outside of its cultural area. Same with Italians. Their music scenes are vibrant but purely domestic.

Solmyr

So I wonder what happens if the country that wins Eurovision is annexed by this time next year.

Legbiter

Austrian dude looks like the offspring of Prince and Kim Kardashian.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

celedhring

Has somebody warned Putin that Russia's sent two slavettes to this hole of gay debauchery?