News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Eurovision 2014

Started by Liep, May 06, 2014, 01:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Austria was the Anti-Russia vote this year.

Holland had a far better song, but all the sympathy through the anti-Wurst campaign in Russia and through the semi-finals went to Austria (where the Danish producers went all Wurst).

So with this being the Eurovision it was the right winner.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: alfred russel on May 11, 2014, 08:24:25 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 10, 2014, 09:00:14 PM
So apparently Russia was upset there was a drag act at the gay Olympics? :lol:
I hope next year is extra super gay, just to troll Russia.

I think this year will be hard to top. I remember when lordi won there was some controversy in russia (the runner up) that it was all an anti russian conspiracy. Russia`s problem may be that they think they are european, and thus dont get why the contest doesnt fit into their cultural norms. Such as not really taking it seriously.

Russia always thinks it's a conspiracy if they don't get their way.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

Russian politicians are now suggesting starting their own song contest which would promote "cultural norms".

Admiral Yi

Syt

It chimes with these things I posted in the State of Affairs in Russia thread:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/arts_n_ideas/article/culture-ministry-affirms-russia-is-not-europe/497658.html

QuoteA state commission working on a much-discussed report titled "Foundations of State Cultural Politics" will release their findings in two weeks, presidential advisor Vladimir Tolstoi announced last week, adding that the basic formula of the report could be summarized as "Russia is not Europe."

"Russia should be examined as a unique and distinctive civilization, belonging neither to the 'West' nor the 'East,' Tolstoi said, Nezavisimaya Gazeta reported.

And:

QuoteGENEVA, March 03. /ITAR-TASS/. Russia calls for strengthening and developing the legal base in the field of human rights, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said at the 25th session of the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC).

Russia intends to submit a draft resolution "Judicial System Integrity" to the Council's session and hopes that the document will be supported, Lavrov said.

"We call for taking into account cultural and historic particularities of different people and note the importance of the UNHRC resolution saying deeper understanding and respect of traditional values will help encourage and protect human rights and freedoms," the Russian minister said.

"We hope that the UNHRC will pay attention to all categories of human rights - civil, political, economic, social and cultural," he said.

"Lately supporters of ultra-liberal approaches have stepped up activities. They propagate policy of all-permissiveness and hedonism, saying moral values, which are common for all religions, should be revised. Such actions are destructive for the society and for the generations. Children should be shielded from information that harms their psychology and humiliates dignity," Lavrov said.

"I would like to say the provisions of the International Pact on Civil and Political Rights envision legislative instruments to restrict the rights and freedoms in favor of the population, public security, law and order," the Russian minister added.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: Solmyr on May 11, 2014, 09:42:33 AM
Russian politicians are now suggesting starting their own song contest which would promote "cultural norms".
Zhirinovsky was on TV (from what I can tell Russian TV was debating Eurovision for 4 hours after the show) saying it's the 'end of Europe'. They no longer have men and women but 'it' and Russia's response to 'dirty Europe' was to send our 'pure girls' who were, inevitably, shunned.

I suppose this is the problem when you have a contest whose strongest enthusiasts are Eastern European homophobes who haven't realised how kitsch everyone else thinks it is, and gays...who have :lol:

When someone writes about WW3 no doubt they'll use this Eurovision for the prologue.

Edit: For those who didn't watch. The repeated booing of Russia:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/russia-booed-repeatedly-by-eurovision-song-contest-audience

Edit: Also, to merge two threads, I saw a poll today that said UKIP voters want Britain to withdraw from Eurovision. If they advertise that widely enough they could win a landslide :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Is there lip syncing in eurovision?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Quote from: alfred russel on May 11, 2014, 10:02:34 PM
Is there lip syncing in eurovision?

No, it has to be sung live. Which has, on occasion, ruined songs that sounded fine in the studio version when the performer suddenly gets the jitters.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

The original budget for this show was €4,640,000 and it ended up costing €15,000,000. I hereby challenge the Austrians to fuck up more.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: Liep on August 04, 2014, 06:26:00 AM
The original budget for this show was €4,640,000 and it ended up costing €15,000,000. I hereby challenge the Austrians to fuck up more.

There's already plenty "hum" and "huh" about the potential costs in the local press.
—Stephen Jay Gould