A Harvard Education - the Benefits are Lost on Some

Started by The Minsky Moment, May 02, 2014, 11:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2014, 01:01:12 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2014, 12:56:05 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 12:43:50 PM
Man, this Neil level fuel to the cause here.

?  Grammar deficit.

Verbs are expensive these days.

We should start a triangular trade with somewhere which has a verb shortfall, but surplus of vowels. Something like this:

I prune my posts and ship the excess verbs to there, they transfer their extra vowels to The Ukraine and they in turn emigrate some of their Russsian over to Languish.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Norgy

Hmm. That's a good idea. Most of the Slavic areas have a very clear vowel deficit, while for instance the Dutch have too many.

crazy canuck

By this new metric, Tamas might be a very rich man if he is permitted to trade Hungarian vowels.  But would there be a market?

Norgy

I will not buy his vowels, they are scratched.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

OttoVonBismarck

Grey Fox's intelligence as assessed by me dropped massively after I read this thread.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2014, 01:16:32 PM
By this new metric, Tamas might be a very rich man if he is permitted to trade Hungarian vowels.  But would there be a market?

Well, if we're clever about our logistics we can have them cleaned up and assembled in, say, Puerto Rico and then market them as American vowels.

Grey Fox

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 02, 2014, 01:50:59 PM
Grey Fox's intelligence as assessed by me dropped massively after I read this thread.

:mad: You know damn well I right. Aren't you the one who fired his boss? That's powerfull proletariat, friend!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 12:34:04 PM
I am not in favor of non-governmental investment. You should know this about me.

I knew you were to the left, but I didn't know you were in favor of the government owning all businesses.  And even then, I still don't get your opposition to colleges and universities investing their endowments.  After, all most of them are government-run (though obviously not all of them, and certainly not Harvard).

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on May 02, 2014, 02:38:51 PM
After, all most of them are government-run (though obviously not all of them, and certainly not Harvard).

You mean government funded - not government run. 

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2014, 03:04:05 PM
After, all most of them are government-run (though obviously not all of them, and certainly not Harvard).

Well UT is government run but not really government funded so much.  We're funky like that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2014, 03:05:42 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2014, 03:04:05 PM

Well UT is government run but not really government funded so much.  We're funky like that.

What do you mean by government run?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2014, 03:06:53 PM

Well all of us who work here are considered government employees.  The Board of Regents who oversee the University are appointed by the Governor, and the Legislature can dictate all sorts of specific policies (and I mean to us specifically not just passing laws that apply to all Universities or something).  All this despite the fact that tax money only supplies about 15% of the costs of operation.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2014, 03:10:06 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2014, 03:06:53 PM

Well all of us who work here are considered government employees.  The Board of Regents who oversee the University are appointed by the Governor, and the Legislature can dictate all sorts of specific policies (and I mean to us specifically not just passing laws that apply to all Universities or something).  All this despite the fact that tax money only supplies about 15% of the costs of operation.

Wow, That is odd.  What happens with concepts like academic freedom?