A Harvard Education - the Benefits are Lost on Some

Started by The Minsky Moment, May 02, 2014, 11:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 02, 2014, 11:21:08 AM
The Divestment Campaign website also doesn't explain however.  Instead it advances two contradictory purposes: (1) to "rebrand" the fossil fuel companies as "social pariahs" and (2) to protect the endowment funds from inevitable losses that will result from investing funds in such miscreants.   :D

How are they going to "rebrand" massive companies that provide essential services and employ thousands of people 'social pariahs'?  Like when you go to the gas station you have to sneak out to the neighbors won't notice and petroleum engineers will be booted from their neighborhoods by horrified HOAs?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 11:50:21 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2014, 11:47:04 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 11:45:52 AM
Universities can invest on the stock market?

:bleeding:

Where would you have an endowment fund invest its funds so that it can give out endowments?

I wouldnt let them invest it in anything.

So you wouldnt allow universities to have endowment funds?  You realize that the capital of those funds would be depleted right?

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2014, 12:01:12 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 11:50:21 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2014, 11:47:04 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 11:45:52 AM
Universities can invest on the stock market?

Where would you have an endowment fund invest its funds so that it can give out endowments?

I wouldnt let them invest it in anything.

So you wouldnt allow universities to have endowment funds?  You realize that the capital of those funds would be depleted right?

Yes.

What made you think that I thought that the current University systems(in the US or Canada or Quebec) worked? Buut I didn't know that US Universities had giant endowment fund like YI mentioned.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Will only fossil fuel exploration and extraction companies be social pariahs or any company or individual who does business in fossil fuel related products or industries?

It doesn't sound like these Harvard kids have thought this through.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 12:05:12 PM
What made you think that I thought that the current University systems(in the US or Canada or Quebec) worked?

Well they might have problems but I was not aware those problems included their endowment funds.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 12:05:12 PM
What made you think that I thought that the current University systems(in the US or Canada or Quebec) worked? Buut I didn't know that US Universities had giant endowment fund like YI mentioned.

I am not sure what one has to do with the other.  fyi most universities in Canada also have endowment funds although nothing approaching the fund Havard has.  Where do you think all the bursuries, scholarships, reduction of tuition and other financial assistance Universities give directly to students comes from?

Grey Fox

I didn't know.

Our system is so different from yours. I'm Tyr here, coming to terms with a different world that I barely understand.

but I am not in favor of Education Instutions investing money even if they have very good reason to do it & even better reason on what they do with the money. It's a blanket statement, I am not in favor of non-governmental investment. You should know this about me.

The Brain

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 12:34:04 PM
I didn't know.

Our system is so different from yours. I'm Tyr here, coming to terms with a different world that I barely understand.

but I am not in favor of Education Instutions investing money even if they have very good reason to do it & even better reason on what they do with the money. It's a blanket statement, I am not in favor of non-governmental investment. You should know this about me.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 02, 2014, 12:34:04 PM
I didn't know.

Then it will surprise you to learn that McGill has one of the largest endowment funds in the country.  :)

Here is the link if you want to find out more.  https://www.mcgill.ca/investments/treasury

Grey Fox

Man, this Neil level fuel to the cause here.

When UQUAM invest in anything it's a fiasco.

Admiral Yi

mongers

I presume all those bright young things will refuse to use passenger jets or cars, once they've graduated and secured nice jobs in corporations and Wall Street.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Norgy

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on May 02, 2014, 12:57:35 PM
I presume all those bright young things will refuse to use passenger jets or cars, once they've graduated and secured nice jobs in corporations and Wall Street.   :cool:

They are going to quit using plastics in their daily lives to protest the evils of fossil fuels and their derivatives.