Kim Jong-Il makes sacrifices for North Korea

Started by Mr.Penguin, June 08, 2009, 11:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 08, 2009, 01:14:49 PM
Quote from: Caliga on June 08, 2009, 11:10:41 AM
:lmfao: I wonder if the North Korean people actually believe shit like this or silently laugh at it (since they wouldn't dare voice public criticism).

I think they believe it.  I remember a story about some foreign eye doctor that went to North Korea and restored their sight.

http://rokdrop.com/2007/03/12/lisa-ling-special-on-north-korea-on-you-tube/

QuoteIt was amazing to watch the eye doctor restore eye sight to people who had been blind for years and they immediately walk up to pictures of Kim Il-sung and Kim Jong-il to thank them for giving back their eye sight without a word of thanks to the Nepalese doctor. The most chilling scene was when one old woman pledged to work harder in the salt mines for the glory of Kim Jong-il for returning her eye sight.

Seriously, the Salt Mines? Could they be any less cliche?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

Quote from: Caliga on June 08, 2009, 11:10:41 AM
:lmfao: I wonder if the North Korean people actually believe shit like this or silently laugh at it (since they wouldn't dare voice public criticism).

Given what the Swedish people believes after 80 years of communist rule even with the availability of a wide open internet, it would certainly not surprise me.

DGuller

It sort of makes you think, though.  If North Koreans are so happy despite being one meal away from starving to death, then maybe they're onto something?  Maybe living more like North Koreans would make us happier about our lot.  I guess we'll find in a couple of years, if Obama has his way.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on June 08, 2009, 01:55:41 PM
Maybe living more like North Koreans would make us happier about our lot.  I guess we'll find in a couple of years, if Obama has his way.

We can all escape to Texas for peace and freedom once it secedes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

It sort of makes you think, though.  If North Koreans are so happy despite being one meal away from starving to death, then maybe they're onto something?  Maybe living more like North Koreans would make us happier about our lot.  I guess we'll find in a couple of years, if Obama has his way.

Why do you diss our lord & savior? I guess Jesus got the same treatment.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on June 08, 2009, 01:58:07 PM
Maybe living more like North Koreans would make us happier about our lot.  I guess we'll find in a couple of years, if Obama has his way.

I'm not sure about that, it's going to be under Mexican influence.

KRonn

Lol...    :lol:

But then, Pres Obama is creating a lot of new Czars!    ;)

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on June 08, 2009, 02:04:32 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 08, 2009, 01:58:07 PM

:yes: Absolutly.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on June 08, 2009, 02:04:32 PM

Mexico can hardly hold its own country together.  I suppose Mexican cartels could try to move in more aggressively but I think Texans will recall the Alamo. :swiss:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Lucidor

Quote from: KRonn on June 08, 2009, 02:09:26 PM
Lol...    :lol:

But then, Pres Obama is creating a lot of new Czars!    ;)
I'm all for it:

Czars good
advisors bad!

:USA:

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on June 08, 2009, 12:55:39 PM
Quote from: Tyr on June 08, 2009, 12:38:27 PM
Sounds a bit like typical medieval societies.
It was always the king's corrupt advisors to blame- the sun shone out of the monarch's arse no matter how bad he was.
That's actually close to the Russian term for this, which is "Good czar, bad advisers".
Indeed.  Socially and politically infantile societies tend to adopt the idea that the leader is fine, but his kind rule if prevented from reaching the people by the forces of corruption that surround him.  More advanced, but still immature societies hold that everyone in a position of authority is a selfish asshole, and they are always sticking it to the people at every turn.  Mature societies realize that the truth is that the people themselves are total assholes who deserve nothing but scorn and mistreatment, and that they get the government that they deserve.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Queequeg

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 08, 2009, 04:14:56 PM
To get a glimpse of the views of one of the rare foreigner allowed in North Korea: http://www.amazon.com/Pyongyang-Journey-North-Guy-Delisle/dp/1896597890
A great book.  Have you read his other books about East Asia?  IIRC he did Shanghai. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Queequeg on June 08, 2009, 04:51:05 PM
A great book.  Have you read his other books about East Asia?  IIRC he did Shanghai.

Yep. He did Shenzhen (not Shanghai), Burma, and a small collaboration about India (I don't know if this one has been translated, though: L'Association en Inde).

Btw, this is the animated feature he is supervising while in China: http://papyrus.spirou.com/  (you can recognize the drawings in his works)
Que le grand cric me croque !

Sheilbh

I believe that the brainwashing was believed to be very effective but its effectiveness has either been very diminished or is gone entirely.  Apparently the 90s famine was the turning point because it forced many North Koreans to communicate with the outside world (trying to buy food from towns over the Chinese border) and so on.  There's now a small black market and people are aware of how different their situation is from South Korea and from China at least. 
Let's bomb Russia!