News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Donald Sterling and Racism

Started by alfred russel, April 27, 2014, 08:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

QuoteNBA Probes L.A. Clippers Owner Over Racist Recording

The National Basketball Association is investigating an audio recording which purports to show Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling making racist remarks to his mixed-race girlfriend.

TMZ posted an audio clip Friday of a conversation allegedly between Sterling and girlfriend V. Stiviano, who is black and Mexican. In the clip, the individual identified as Sterling says "not to bring [black people] to my games" and chastises her for taking an Instagram picture with Magic Johnson, which has since been deleted.

"It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you're associating with black people. Do you have to?" the man in the recording says. "You can sleep with [them]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want. The little I ask you is not to promote it on that ... and not to bring them to my games."

TMZ attempted to contact Sterling for comment, but received no response.

"We are in the process of conducting a full investigation into the audio recording obtained by TMZ," NBA spokesman Mike Bass told ESPN in a statement. "The remarks heard on the recording are disturbing and offensive, but at this time we have no further information."

http://time.com/78189/donald-sterling-racist-recording/

Sterling is getting a lot of criticism right now. But I want to point something that the media isn't focusing nearly enough on: he tells his girlfriend she can sleep with black people.

Now in normal relationships, you can take pictures with minorities, but you aren't allowed to sleep with them. The opposite seemed to be functioning in Sterling's relationship. But which restriction would you prefer your significant other to impose on you? So I ask you this, who is the real racist, Donald Sterling, or the rest of us?

[okay, so Donald Sterling, but I still think this part of the story needs to be talked about  :)]

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

I say Reverand Al and Jesse take him for 40 mill.

mongers

Failing to see the wood for the trees:

What does his girlfriend look like. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Hasn't he been a well known racist for decades?

Haven't his buisness been sued for discrimination multiple times?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on April 27, 2014, 08:51:52 PM

She is attractive. Also black / mexican.

He is 80 something, and looks like he might be pregnant.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Tonitrus

Quote from: mongers on April 27, 2014, 08:51:52 PM

The couple...

MadBurgerMaker

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2014, 08:51:10 PM

Now why you gotta go bring politics into it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

sbr

Anyone that is surprised by Sterling being a racist just hasn't been paying attention.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on April 27, 2014, 09:15:31 PM

:lol:

QuoteThe National Assn. for the Advancement of Colored People announced Sunday that Donald Sterling will not receive an honor amid controversy over a recording said to be of the Clippers team owner making racist remarks.

The Los Angeles chapter of the NAACP had been scheduled to give Sterling the group's lifetime achievement award at its May 15 banquet.   "He is not receiving a lifetime achievement award from the NAACP," Lorraine Miller, NAACP interim vice president, told NBC's "Meet the Press."

Also, on Twitter, the NAACP announced Sterling "will not be receiving a lifetime achievement award from the LA Branch of the NAACP."

At the banquet, the NAACP chapter also planned to give its first "person of the year" awards to L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti and the Rev. Al Sharpton, according to the organization's website.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-naacp-donald-sterling-award-racist-tape-controversy-20140427,0,2263229.story

katmai

He's a kook.

From a deposition a few years back.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

lol, Mr. Koon.  You just can't make this up.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 27, 2014, 10:19:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 27, 2014, 09:15:31 PM

:lol:

QuoteThe National Assn. for the Advancement of Colored People announced Sunday that Donald Sterling will not receive an honor amid controversy over a recording said to be of the Clippers team owner making racist remarks.

The Los Angeles chapter of the NAACP had been scheduled to give Sterling the group's lifetime achievement award at its May 15 banquet.   "He is not receiving a lifetime achievement award from the NAACP," Lorraine Miller, NAACP interim vice president, told NBC's "Meet the Press."

Also, on Twitter, the NAACP announced Sterling "will not be receiving a lifetime achievement award from the LA Branch of the NAACP."

At the banquet, the NAACP chapter also planned to give its first "person of the year" awards to L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti and the Rev. Al Sharpton, according to the organization's website.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-naacp-donald-sterling-award-racist-tape-controversy-20140427,0,2263229.story

Yeah, I saw an article in the National Review where they doing a some victory laps where finally someone turned out to be a racist wasn't a Republican.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on April 27, 2014, 10:14:34 PM
Anyone that is surprised by Sterling being a racist just hasn't been paying attention.

The NAACP was shocked and amazed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."