What are you growing in your garden this summer?

Started by charliebear, June 07, 2009, 11:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charliebear

I just finished planting several packs of seeds in the backyard:

zucchini
pole beans
cucumbers
green peas

I went overboard with the tomatoes this year, though.  I have 8 roma tomatoes, 4 grape, 4 brandywine, and 4 bonnie best.  I started the tomatoes from plants, not seeds.  I'm also trying 2 of those Topsy-Turvy planters this summer.  That's in addition to the eggplant, sage, and lettuce.

The rabbits got to my cucumbers and green beans last year, so this year I came up with a plot.  I took the rose bush clippings and put them around my garden to thwart those wascally wabbits.

jimmy olsen

The tomato plants are growing fast and the rose buds coming in.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

charliebear

My roses are just now getting a few buds.  I should have cut them back last fall/winter, but didn't until a few weeks ago.

Norgy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 07, 2009, 11:57:15 AM
The tomatoe plants are growing fast

Don't tell Marty.  :mmm:

I'm growing some herbs. Parsley, rosemary and also tomato and cucumber.

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 07, 2009, 11:57:15 AM
The tomatoe plants are growing fast and the rose buds coming in.

Someday you will be vice president.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

PDH

Does a tomatoe get that nasty yellow fungus when it is older?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

BuddhaRhubarb

nice... I have a black thumb. :( but my landlady will have lots of nice plums, apples, grapes, and tomatoes coming up this year. Plus a lot of nice flowers.
:p

Jos Theelen

Plums, peaches, strawberries, gooseberries, red berries, pears, cherries, blackberries, and all kind of herbs.

Grey Fox

The usual : Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Onions, lots of Herbs, stuff I don't know the English name & this year novelty strawberries.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Norgy

charliebear

Quote from: Jos Theelen on June 07, 2009, 01:41:54 PM
Plums, peaches, strawberries, gooseberries, red berries, pears, cherries, blackberries, and all kind of herbs.

Do you make preserves with any of that?

Barrister

The season's so short here you have to get started inside before the snow melts.  I never remember in time... :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Nothing. I live in a city and don't have a garden.

saskganesh

right now, apartment-dweller. yet I'm all natural. hence I am busily forgetting to water my friend's house plants.

just part of the cycle of life  ;)
humans were created in their own image

CountDeMoney

I'm thinking about buying a Topsy-Turvy(tm).  Why the fuck not.