What are you growing in your garden this summer?

Started by charliebear, June 07, 2009, 11:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jos Theelen

Quote from: charliebear on June 07, 2009, 02:05:27 PM
Quote from: Jos Theelen on June 07, 2009, 01:41:54 PM
Plums, peaches, strawberries, gooseberries, red berries, pears, cherries, blackberries, and all kind of herbs.

Do you make preserves with any of that?

No. I throw my raspberries (which I forgot to mention) in the freezer. On a warm day I put the frozen raspberries with yoghurt and sugar in a blender, to make some kind of raspberry-ice cream. I don't like jam or marmelade, so frozen raspberries is the only preserving I do.

Jaron

Come on Fireblade, where is your token response? :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

HisMajestyBOB

I currently have no garden. :(

I've got a yellow rose that's doing fairly wll, considering it badly needs to be repotted. And a cactus that hasn't had any flowers since I bought it a month ago - I'm not sure if its a seasonal thing or if it, too, needs to be repotted (or, possibly, both).
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 07, 2009, 03:46:37 PM
I'm thinking about buying a Topsy-Turvy(tm).  Why the fuck not.
They kind of look silly, but if they work, why not.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

Sometimes the bucket of cigarette butts on my balcony looks like it's growing something, but I'm not entirely sure what it is.

Will have to get back to you.

charliebear

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 07, 2009, 03:46:37 PM
I'm thinking about buying a Topsy-Turvy(tm).  Why the fuck not.

Here's the thing, though:  the  plants grow toward the sun.  The TV commercials had me thinking that they would grow straight down. Nope.  The good news is that one of my Topsy Turvy tomatoes has a blossom already, while the ones in my garden do not.

Maybe there's something to it after all.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Slargos on June 08, 2009, 05:10:45 AM
Sometimes the bucket of cigarette butts on my balcony looks like it's growing something, but I'm not entirely sure what it is.

Will have to get back to you.
:lol:

I planted mine on the ledge of my balcony, but instead of growing when it rained, they just washed away.   :(

Malthus

Nothing but various flowers in mine.

I have childhood phobias about having a vegitable garden, due to my parent's fixation in the 1970s with self-sufficiency. They attempted to cultivate a garden in the country that was almost 3/4 of an acre in size. 

During many an unhappy childood hour spent wearing a can of kerosene around my neck picking potato beetles and grubs and dropping them in while other kids were off watching cartoons or playing hockey, I swore to myself that when I grew up, I'd leave pretending to be a peasant to others.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Brazen

No garden, just bought a chrysanthemum for my dining table  :(

Got a nice view over the cricket pitch (and the cricket players) though.

KRonn

Quote from: charliebear on June 07, 2009, 11:52:58 AM
I just finished planting several packs of seeds in the backyard:

zucchini
pole beans
cucumbers
green peas

I went overboard with the tomatoes this year, though.  I have 8 roma tomatoes, 4 grape, 4 brandywine, and 4 bonnie best.  I started the tomatoes from plants, not seeds.  I'm also trying 2 of those Topsy-Turvy planters this summer.  That's in addition to the eggplant, sage, and lettuce.

The rabbits got to my cucumbers and green beans last year, so this year I came up with a plot.  I took the rose bush clippings and put them around my garden to thwart those wascally wabbits.
tomatoes, spinach, lima beans, squash, cauliflower, bush beans.

Tomatoes and bush beans grow nicely. First time for me on some of the others. I love planting pole beans but the last few years they haven't grown well, so I planted bush beans. Last year the bush beans gave a nice haul. Squash should grow ok. Sometimes some plants don't grow well at all, I think if I don't keep the soil loose or fertilized. For all plants I used organic soil and fertilizer to keep the ground loose and nourished. Hopefully that will help.

All those tomato plants are going to flood you with veggies! Enjoy - if you're like me you'll be giving many away. I get too many with just a half dozen plants.

I haven't had problems with critters for a couple of years but I do have a repellent which I'll put down as the plants come up. It's a fox urine in granular form; worked well the year I did use it. Doesn't smell but the critters probably smell it. I think the small critters have been taken out by coyotes, since I never see any like I used to,  but this year I'm going to use the repellent a bit just in case.

Grey Fox

My cousin, my dad & I just pee around the garden. It works.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

KRonn

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 08, 2009, 09:47:59 AM
My cousin, my dad & I just pee around the garden. It works.
I guess that would work also.    :lol:

Ed Anger

I am conducting my annual anti-rabbit counterinsurgency operations near the garden. No truce with rabbitkind.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I'm getting some Married With Children flashbacks there, Mr Ed.
QuoteIf dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom