News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Not all black teens are thugs, News at 11

Started by merithyn, April 16, 2014, 01:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

This video was made at my kids' high school, and I know a few of the boys in it. I think it's pathetic that these boys feel like they have to "prove" that they're good kids, but I think it's neat that they did it in this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7vNEl4Br0w
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Is this like more of a thing than it used to be?  I went to a mostly black High School and people gave us shit for being poor but never being thuggish.  Sure our football team committed lots of personal fouls but those suburban high schools talk lots of trash.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2014, 01:10:00 PM
Is this like more of a thing than it used to be?  I went to a mostly black High School and people gave us shit for being poor but never being thuggish.  Sure our football team committed lots of personal fouls but those suburban high schools talk lots of trash.

:lol:

Whenever we played against team with more than a couple black kids on it, we were maybe a little intimidated.  Particularly this one team that had a ginormous fullback.  He ended up playing for Marshall when they won the IAA championship. 

edit: I just read where he passed away a couple years ago.  RIP LeRon :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

It seems to be. I know that a lot of these boys are harassed around here when they go out as a group to restaurants and the movies and stuff, even though they're obviously regular, clean cut kids. They're black so they must be thugs.

But then, I live in a pretty segregated, racist town.

The Brain

Quote from: merithyn on April 16, 2014, 01:38:52 PM

It seems to be. I know that a lot of these boys are harassed around here when they go out as a group to restaurants and the movies and stuff, even though they're obviously regular, clean cut kids. They're black so they must be thugs.

But then, I live in a pretty segregated, racist town.

Have all towns you've lived in been racist? :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on April 16, 2014, 01:40:24 PM

That suburb of Chicago she used to live in was pretty diverse from what I could see.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2014, 01:42:20 PM

That suburb of Chicago she used to live in was pretty diverse from what I could see.

Some of my closest racists are diverse.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on April 16, 2014, 01:44:22 PM
Some of my closest racists are diverse.

What was Slargos have Danish or something?

derspiess

YEAH WHATS THE COMMON DENOMINATOR HERE MERI??
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain