Mirror uses stock image of American child for front page UK foodbanks story

Started by Brazen, April 16, 2014, 06:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluebook

Quote from: The Brain on April 16, 2014, 11:37:30 PM
In Sweden it's a choice to be poor. Education is free, and getting a decent education is a simple and convenient way to avoid being poor (even though it is unlikely to make you rich).

The choise is not always free or even councious. Which of cource makes it impossible to attach blame to the "choise", and  which invalidates your implication that poor people have themselves to blame..

The Brain

Quote from: Bluebook on April 17, 2014, 02:43:14 AM
Quote from: The Brain on April 16, 2014, 11:37:30 PM
In Sweden it's a choice to be poor. Education is free, and getting a decent education is a simple and convenient way to avoid being poor (even though it is unlikely to make you rich).

The choise is not always free or even councious. Which of cource makes it impossible to attach blame to the "choise", and  which invalidates your implication that poor people have themselves to blame..

The number of people who live in Fritzl basements is vanishingly small. And as for conscious, I don't see why it would matter if the choice is conscious or not.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on April 16, 2014, 04:53:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2014, 04:37:28 PM
It does, but that doesn't really help getting them jobs again.  In fact, it's counter productive.  People who are humiliated daily become depressed and are less likely to find work.

It would provide motivation for me to find a job.  I'd dig ditches to avoid being on welfare.

I imagine if you had experience with machinery we actually use for ditch digging, and have for about forty years, you wouldn't have need for it.

But I take the point: you'd do any stupid, demeaning job to avoid being on welfare.  I suggest you go wash dishes for a year, and let me how you managed without welfare.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2014, 05:12:49 PM
Where are you going to get this fancy ditch digging job?  They have machines that do that now.

FUCK.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 16, 2014, 08:59:49 PM
:yes: I've even heard a few conservatards try to spin it as single moms trying deliberately to get knocked up multiple times for the welfare checks.

This is exactly what happened under the old AFDIC.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on April 17, 2014, 04:41:36 AM
But I take the point: you'd do any stupid, demeaning job to avoid being on welfare.  I suggest you go wash dishes for a year, and let me how you managed without welfare.
And you may still end up needing some welfare. But, not to worry, that's the system working.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2014, 07:09:56 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 17, 2014, 04:41:36 AM
And you may still end up needing some welfare. But, not to worry, that's the system working.

Well hopefully you humiliated enough you won't show your face at a polling place.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2014, 07:07:46 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 16, 2014, 08:59:49 PM
:yes: I've even heard a few conservatards try to spin it as single moms trying deliberately to get knocked up multiple times for the welfare checks.

This is exactly what happened under the old AFDIC.
I don't think the conservatards have stopped spinning with the establishment of TANF.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2014, 10:43:05 PM
I have had people tell me they were carrying out this plan but it seems like a dodgy one.

Yeah.  I cashed a lot of welfare checks when I was a bank teller.  The conversations I overheard when one welfare queen encountered another were mind-blowing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 16, 2014, 11:42:08 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 16, 2014, 11:30:05 PM
It's impersonal.
And that's better because...?

Because it's less humiliating.  :P

Government agents don't have the same discretion as private charities to decide who is and who isn't worthy of their money. So there's less kow-towing and less condescension involved.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on April 17, 2014, 01:23:58 PM
Yeah.  I cashed a lot of welfare checks when I was a bank teller.  The conversations I overheard when one welfare queen encountered another were mind-blowing.
You outta hear the conversations in a gun shop some day.  Modern gun tards make those olden-times welfare queens sound quite rational.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Maximus on April 16, 2014, 04:26:44 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 16, 2014, 04:07:20 PM
Welfare isn't charity. Part of the reason we established a welfare state was to remove the inefficiency and humiliation of charity.
I see a distinction without a difference.

TBH I really dislike this dichotomy. You see it in the opposite direction here a lot, like private charity is somehow morally superior to public, or vice versa. You have an organization formed by the citizenry to fulfill certain purposes including helping the poor. Why does it matter whether it is a government or not? If it is inefficient or humiliating that is a matter of administration.

When it's welfare there is no moral component. Charity is a good act because someone must make a moral choice to do it. You can't choose to not pay your taxes, so the morality of the act is removed.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 17, 2014, 01:23:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2014, 10:43:05 PM
I have had people tell me they were carrying out this plan but it seems like a dodgy one.

I didn't know they actually existed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 17, 2014, 06:10:58 PM
When it's welfare there is no moral component. Charity is a good act because someone must make a moral choice to do it. You can't choose to not pay your taxes, so the morality of the act is removed.

There is arguably a moral component in the acceptance of welfare.

Razgovory

I'm not going to respond to that.  Yi would just become unhappy, so I leave his statement to just hang there like a corpse on giblet.